Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Jacob!!!!

Today, our Jacob turned 5 years old. I can hardly believe it has been five years. He had a great birthday! (Picture lovers...you will love this post- I had a hard time narrowing them down!) The festivities began Friday night with a party with a few of his friends. We started with just some fun, random balloon play!
Then, we put together a rousing game of balloon volleyball.....
After volleyball, we played a fun easter egg scavenger hunt. (It was a game I got on clearance at Walmart- It is very cool that his birthday was so soon after Easter this year!)

Next, was an exciting game of "pin the trunk on Dumbo." Aaron hand drew this game two years ago when Kenny turned five and was way into Dumbo at the time. Jacob and the kids loved it!
Everyone smiled for a quick photo before cake. Starting on the left and going around the circle, we have TJ, Kenny, Spencer, Hope, Jacob and Grace.
Then, everyone got to decorate their own cupcake and we had ice cream! It was an awesome night!

Today, we celebrated by having a party with our families. We had the party at my sisters house, which is much bigger and works better with a large crowd. It was an incredibly gorgeous day! Spring has finally sprung! It was mid 60's and sunny- perfect! Before leaving, we gave him our main present from us:
His very own big kid bike!
We then headed out. Jacob had been fine all day and all weekend, but then started coughing suddenly on the way there. (The girls and I have had a bit of a cough recently.) Just as we pulled in her driveway, he coughed and gagged and threw up all over the car seat next to him! I felt so bad for him! But he was okay- he does have a cough, but I gave him some medicine and it helped.
We also had a special surprise in store for the kids:
My sister owns a horse and keeps her boarded about a mile from where she lives. She walked her over so the kids could have a ride! It seemed a bit silly, especially to people passing by- a horse in the front yard of a new housing development. But, the back yard was too muddy, and the kids had a ball! Jacob got on first since he was the birthday boy. He was pretty scared and wanted right back off, so we didn't push it. Once other kids did it and were having fun, he suddenly decided it wasn't scary and wanted to do it again and had a blast!
Kenny had the time of his life! He kept wanting to do it over and over! (My sister, Emily, is the horsed owner and it was her house where we had the party. She is expecting baby #2 in August.)
We even held the girls up there for a quick photo opp. (My other sister and I are holding them on the other side while Emily holds the horse.) A perfect shot! Meghan is first in the green, Ellie is in the pink.
And, no party is complete without cake and ice cream! It is just a boring basic cake, but it was yummy! It was a great day! The poor kid was so worn out he fell asleep on the way home and then went into total melt down mode once we got home and got ready for bed. But, aside from this, I believe he was very happy today!

Here is a little information about Jacob, since it is his day:

Jacob was born Sunday morning, April 6, 2003 at 4:52 AM. He is the only child I actually went into labor with. About 11pm the night before, I was getting ready to go to bed when my water broke. I quickly went into heavy labor. We were flying down the freeway at midnight- about 80 mph, and went right past a cop, who didn't come after us! It sounds like it was a 6 hour labor, but it was really only 5 because he was born during the time change! It was that night, at 2am that we hit daylight savings time and lost an hour! I think it is cool he was born during this- just something to remember. Aaron soon started calling him "Cubby", a play off of the 2nd half of his name. It stuck and now both of our families call him this frequently.
He is an incredibly lovable and cuddly child. He loves to be close, to sit on laps, to have stories read to him. He is incredibly intelligent and I know he will do great when he starts Kindergarten this fall. He just seems to naturally pick up knowledge. He is very good with fine motor skills- he builds block towers better than I could, I believe! He loves to build with blocks and is excellent with puzzles. We sometimes call him our "drama queen" because he tends to be dramatic over little things. He is a bit sensitive, which is good and bad. He loves to have someone to play with and I often feel bad because we can't afford preschool, and so he is home with me and the babies while Kenny is at school. It is hard for me to devote the attention he needs with two babies at home. I think he gets bored easily because of this. This is another reason I think he will excel in school. He loves to play his game boy (he would play all day if I let him, so I have to give him a time limit!) and I like to here him tell me about it. He gives such good detail when he tells stories or describes something. I love him dearly and it makes me happy to see the little man he is turning into, though also a bit sad to see him growing so fast! Happy Birthday, Jacob- my sweet little man! We love you!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Whoa!!! When did Jacob grow up? He's 5? Will he be going to the same charter school as Kenny? Fun parties! I love that you had the kids decorate their own cupcakes. I'll file that in my memory for a future party. What a great kid!

Kelly said...

He is darling- and such a big boy now! He is really growing up and I can see him just shining! I loved the horse! My uncle has some and my kids love that more than anything!! SO fun!! Love the party, too!

Suzanne said...

Great pictures. Spencer said he had a great time at the party but left out the details of balloon volleyball which is very fun and decorating cupcakes. Both he and TJ had fun and enjoyed eating their treats all the way home. It was great seeing you at the park today. We need to do that more often!