Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

"I don't want to mess up my bed!"

A long time ago, I started teaching my kids to make their bed in the morning. Kenny made his one morning and did a particularly nice job- got it nice and straight and I complimented him on it. This was probably a year ago or so now at this point. That night, he did not want to get under his blankets, because he would mess up his bed. It was like he figured he wouldn't have to make his bed anymore if it never got messed up, or something. So, I decided not to make a big deal out of it and he slept on top of his blankets. Not wanting him to get cold, I put an old throw blanket on him later. This continued over the next nights, but I still just figured it was a passing phase. You know the old line, "Choose your battles." I figured this was a time to not choose the battle. I figured if he got cold enough, he would cover up- or just eventually get tired of it. Nope, he is still doing it. He just covers up with the same throw blanket and will not mess up his bed. (Despite the fact I have taken his comforter off to wash it several times during this time, because it has to be washed if he is laying on it all the time, just like sheets!) It is almost like he is doing now because he knows I want him to cover up and he is determined to do things his own way. So, I still figure this is not a battle to fight- it isn't a big deal, just kind of silly! This will definitely be something we laugh at down the road and tell his girlfriend about! I love this kid and his silly quarks! :) Here is the goofy boy (he sleeps in the top bunk):

4 comments:

The Cochran Family said...

that is so cute! I love how literal everythigng is to children. This is motivation to me to teach ryan. I know he would do it...he's all about being a big boy and cleanin gup lately. I need to get busy on that! I'm sure I was washing dishes, mowing the lawn, sweeping floors, and making my bed by age 5....i'm not kidding! :)

Katie said...

Parker does something similar. WE have this huge quenn size blanket that we put over him one night for what reason, I can't remember. Now he sleeps without a sheet or comforter over him and just this blanket. It annoys me. I can't use that quilt for anything else and I want him and Reid o have matching comforters, bu it's just not worth the investment...he's gotta have his big blue blanket. Since he still naps, it's just wadded up on his bed all day.

I'm glad to know your kids are just as quirky as mine.

Kelly said...

Leah is very particular about her bed, and for a long time did the same thing- slept on top of the covers with a small blanket on top- but she freaks out if I make her bed "wrong"! She cares about the little things, and yes, it is all about choosing battles!

Suzanne said...

I have a brother that did that. In fact he took a sleeping bag on his mission because it was easier than making a bed. I'm sure his wife is the one to make the bed today although he is a really "tidy" person today.