Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Today was MY Day!!!

A couple of weeks ago, Aaron announced that his work was offering the possibility of working 4 10 hour shifts and having Friday off. We both thought it would be a great idea and thought it would be great for him to be home on Fridays. As he said, I wouldn't have to load everyone up to take Kenny to and from school, I could make doctors appointments on Fridays, or whatever. He could also offer to work on his friends' cars for a little extra money. Well, that was what he did last Friday- he was in the garage ALL day. Yesterday, he went to a friends house to work on a car. He did, at least, take Kenny to school, but then ran into problems on the car they were working on and got home at midnight. I know I won't get him next weekend either because his group has a big annual get-together on Saturday and there are people coming into town Friday for it. So, I was just a little miffed last night. Although, to his defense, I know it won't be like this every Friday- I just get impatient. And, he is always willing to keep the kids while I go do "my thing." The only problem is, I don't have much of a "thing", other than church callings (yipee!), grocery shopping (more fun!) and twins club meetings (okay, that one really is fun! :))

So, I am thinking- girls night out anyone???? I think we should do it! (Obviously not next Saturday....) I am a bit envious of Katie's night she described and I think we need to do something similar. So, who is up for it??

Anyway, so when Aaron finally got home yesterday, I told him I had multiple errands to run today and I was going to do them all kid free and I was going to take my good old sweet time and get home whenever I got home. He knew better than to argue! :) So, I started the day getting my haircut. Which, actually, I am totally NOT thrilled about. Getting it cut was fun, of course, but the results were not as planned. My cut is pretty basic, hard to mess up- but she did. I was going to post a picture, but not now. The worst part is she butchered my bangs. I have to have bangs because I have a big awkward forehead. I told her eyebrow level. Well, she must think my eyebrows are an inch or so higher than they really are....... Anyway, it isn't too bad otherwise- she just didn't layer it quite like I had envisioned. I trimmed it a bit to fix it, but don't know what else to do. So, don't make fun of it :)- the good thing is that bangs grow quickly and hopefully I will look more normal in a couple weeks.

So, then, I went to the library to get some reader books for Kenny to practice with. Then, to Children's Orchard to look for clothes for the girls (these poor girls have nothing for spring/summer.) I got a couple things, but really wasn't too impressed. The clothes were cute- but pricey. I mean, these were used clothes and most of the jeans were like, $10. I can get them new for that price at Walmart. (of course, these were Tommy H. and Gap, etc, but I, personally, have no desire to use these brands- I mean, why? It's just kids clothing!) So, I figure I am better off going to OUAC. Then, I did stop by Kohl's to check out the clearance racks, but still didn't quite see what I wanted so I left without buying. They have all kinds of shorts and such, but these girls have outgrown their pants and it isn't shorts season yet- I need CHEAP pants! Oh well, I will go to OUAC soon.

Next, I stopped at Arby's for lunch and had a very yummy but very fattening lunch- I figured I deserved it- it was my day out alone! :) Then, I got gas in the van, got my two week diaper supply at Sam's club (it was probably a good thing they didn't have the samples out or I would have eaten that on top of the Arby's!) and did my two week shopping at Walmart. On the way out, I stopped at Subway to get dinner for Aaron and I. (the kids were stuck with chicken nuggets from the oven- it is kind of cool that they are still too young to know they are missing out on something yummy! :))

It was definitely nice just to have the day to do what I needed, kid free, not rushed. I left at 9:30 and got home at 3:30! I never would have done all those stops with even one child!

Also, we got notified in the mail today that Jacob is accepted at the same school Kenny is in! (If you remember, Kenny goes to a public school, but it is an alternative- based in math and science- it is all based on lottery to get in. We tried in Kindergarten to get him in, but got wait listed so he went to a charter school, which was okay. We tried again for first grade and he got in. I was nervous hoping Jacob would get in too because I didn't want to drive to different schools. Plus, for being in a public school, I think it is the best option. I would like a better school district, but that won't happen right now. And, well, who can afford private school? not me- I can't even do preschool for the poor kid! But, I have been really impressed with how well Kenny does here, so if we have to be in this school district, this is where I want them to go. I knew they give siblings a priority, but there was no guarantee. Well, he got in! Yay! )

And I am serious about the girls night out! I would love to hang with anyone who would like to!

9 comments:

Katie said...

I got a haircut on Friday that I feel the same way about.

Spencer has that kind of schedule...with Fridays off. I love it. Our weekend begins thursday night. We used to hate that our Saturdays were filled with chores. Now we have one day for fun and one day for chores. It's fantastic...not to mention the Dr. appointment thing.

I can't believe we never did girls night in Ohio. I hung out with friends, but it always involved either church callings or children. In all five years I was there, I had ONE girls night. What was I thinking? We really missed out. I always felt like we needed to have something to do or find a weekend we all were available.

Well here, it's only been three months. We did it on a Thursday night since we were all available. We just grabbed dinner, but the fun time was sitting on some one's couch. It doesn't have to be a big planned out event. It was spur of the moment.

I am so sad we never did that. As much fun as I had, I would have had more fun with you girls...who I know a thousand times better.

I hope it flies. It is VERY theraputic.

Suzanne said...

I am all over a girl's night out! I had a fabulous date with my husband this weekend which is very therapeutic as well. It makes me a better mommy when I get some time away from the kids. So I'm in. What is up with bad hair-do's lately. I sympathize with you. Sounds like you had a great day out. I need one just like that! Congratulations on the school. That will be great having them in the same school and the one you wanted.

trentnjeanmorello said...

Well, I know I am "kinda young" and never really hung out with you before but I think a Girls Night out would be fun...
By the way-congrats on the school! I bet it's nice to find a good school for your kids. I think that's why my parents moved to Bexley.

STUFFellaneous said...

Count me in. P.S. I had Kenny is primary today. He was great. What a nice young man. I so enjoy watching all the kids grow up.

Autumn said...

I am so up for that!! Sounds GREAT to have an entire day to yourself. Awesome. I think your hair looks good, but I know its always different when its your own...

Anonymous said...

Hey you, I'm so jealous! We're going to have to have a girls' night of our own when I'm in Ohio next month! :)
~Jackie

Kelly said...

Count me in! I love girls' night! I am with Katie- it doesn't have to be an extravaganza, just girls hangin out! Congrats on the school, that is a huge blessing! I thought your hair looked nice- I didn't get to see you only when you walked in, but you still look fantastic- and glad you had a me day! Love it!

The Cochran Family said...

oh how fun..isn't it great how we cherish those alone times b/c they are so in frequest and ironically before kids, we had them everyday..all day....WEIRD!!! Oh and girls night out...I"M IN!!!! ok wait i live in texas....bummer..i just havent to got to know that many people here yet, but i took over playgroup..i have a habit of that now...and the first one is next week...

Valarie said...

OHhh, I would totally be in for a girls night...if I were there. I used to do them on a regular basis when I was in Ohio, but not so much here in Florida. You should go to The Cheesecake Factory. Mmmm, it is so delicious!!