Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Monday, May 5, 2008

The Fight is On!

Today was Jacob's 5 year checkup. Which, I will say- he is totally and completely healthy- physically and developmentally. The poor kid had to get 4 shots!!! The doctor suggested maybe doing 2 today and 2 on another day, but I figured that would be more traumatic knowing he had to come back for more. Not to mention the logistics of loading everyone up again....... So, I was a mean mom and had them do them all. It was NOT fun. He freaked after the first- kicking and screaming. The girls immediately started crying as well. It didn't take long before I started too..... At least it is over with. His growth is great- he is in the 90th % for height and 78th % for weight. So, hopefully he will forgive me for the shots soon. I will be able to register him for Kindergarten this week! It is just unbelievable!

My biggest reason for posting, aside from the above, is we are finally trying to do something about the girls snotty noses. They have been snotty since Christmas, except for a short reprieve in March. I mentioned at their 15 mos. checkup last month and she said if it didn't get better within a couple weeks as the weather got better, to give her a call and we would start to explore allergies. Well, it didn't get better. My sister always says they are so cute, yet the snottiest babies she has ever seen. I put off calling the doctor, probably knowing we would see her today. She said it could be viral, but looking more like it is allergies- especially because their ears are clear and no other symptoms, like a cough or anything. So, she wants me to give them Claritin for a week and then call her. If it is better, we will try to stop giving it to them and see how they do. So, I don't know if it will work, but at least I am finally trying something. I will probably try to give their toys a good scrub as well. I admittedly haven't done this like I probably should, because I figured, with their noses still snotty, they would just reinfect the toys anyway, so what was the point. (I know, I am making all of you who have brought your kids here feel all warm and fuzzy about my house....) But, as long as this has been, I just don't think it is a cold anyway. Anyway, hopefully it will work!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Jacob is not just getting older...he's looking older. Nice that his weight has finally caught up to him. I remember he went through a super skinny phase. How fun to be getting ready for kindergarten again. I look forward to the day. I bet he's excited about going to school with his brother.

Cleaning toys is the worst task. I have recently started putting some in the dishwasher. The kind that aren't electronic or have too many compartments that water will get into and never come out. (which eliminates a ton of toys) But for those that work, it's great. Have fun with that.

Suzanne said...

I'm sure you are relieved to get to the bottom of the snotty noses. Shots are not fun and somehow they never seem to forget the tragic moment either. I am so excited for kindergarten next year. Your load will lighten up a lot with your boys at school and your girls will be older and need less from you. Good times:)

Kelly said...

I am excited to hear if the claritin works! My kids hate shots too, but it is a rite of passage to get ready for Kindergarten! I am amazed at how big he has gotten! Good luck with the toy washing!