Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Science is Great in 2008!!!

This was the title of the science fair at Kenny's school this year. His school is a Math/Science alternative school (as I am sure I have mentioned before). All of the children, in each grade are required to do two science projects. One is done at school as a class, under the direction of the teacher and one is done at home and can be on whatever they want. I turned this over to Aaron to help Kenny with. Aaron has a much stronger science brain than I do. I hated science and would hide from science fairs and only did them when absolutely required. Besides, I figured I helped with homework all year, he could help with the science project.

As I have mentioned before, Kenny has an odd fascination with tornadoes. (see the post here) So, we figured what better thing to study for the fair? Here are some pictures:

He made three models to demonstrate what he learned. The first is a lamp, with an unwrapped wire hanger bent to hold a spiral (made out of const paper) over the bulb. When you turn on the light, the heat from the bulb will make the spiral spin, demonstrating how heat rising off the earth is one component to tornados. The second is just water between two pop bottles. When you flip it over and shake it, a tornado forms in the top. The third is the same thing, but with beads added that demonstrate what happens to debri in a tornado (cars, trees, etc.). Kenny had said they were people in the tornado, I told him it was better to say they were cars and such!

This is a close up of his display.

His score was 100%. He did great!

This was one of the class science projects. They learned about heat induction and made ovens out of pizza boxes. It has a flap covered in aluminum foil that goes over a hole in the box. The hole has plastic over it. They put chocolate and marshmallows in the "oven" on a piece of black paper. (This was done outside). Then, they aim the shield (the part with the aluminum) up or down, to get the sun to reflect into the box, "cooking" the food. Then, they ate them with crackers. Can you say yum? Very cool I thought.


Anyway, we were very proud of him!


**side note- Aaron was taking Kenny to T-ball on Wednesday and didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign and got a $100 ticket!!!!!! Ugh..... Now we have to come up with $100 we didn't have. I couldn't help but laugh though, because when they came home from t-ball, Kenny came in all excited and said, "Mom! I'm not supposed to tell you that Daddy got stopped by the police and got a ticket because he ran a stop sign!!!" Great....

7 comments:

Katie said...

That. Is. Awesome. Good work Kenny. The board looks great. I love how much he did himself. And I loved that you used his fascination with tornados. I'll have to remember this when I have kids needing to do science projects. That was perfect...everything a science project should be. He definitely deserved his 100%.

I've saw the pizza box thing in Family Fun last month. I thought it looked fun.

Suzanne said...

This is one thing I don't look forward to. I'm sure it's because I always procrastinated these projects as a kid and ended up cramming it all in the night before.

Bummer about the ticket! They sure can be expensive.

Kelly said...

What a smart little cookie you have there!! I loved the tornadoes project! Fantastic work!
Sorry about the ticket- they never come at good times....

Valarie said...

How cool!!! Sounds like so much fun to me. I LOVE science. He did an awesome job.

trentnjeanmorello said...

Great Job Kenny!!!!! I hate science and math so I would never be able to pull off something like that! That is AWESOME!!

The ticket is a bummer...

Abbey said...

Way to go kenny on an awesome project!! I loved our science project in school too. Oh yeah, way to go Aaron on the ticket!! That is never a fun thing to get because it haunts you for three years.

The Cochran Family said...

Sorry about the ticket, sooo sorry! Ryan can't wait till the day of school science projects. We do little ones at home all the time, he's a little scientist...soo cute. Kenny did a great job on his project.