Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

To The Wonderful Fathers in my Life

Today on Fathers Day, I would like to reflect on all of the wonderful fathers in my life and why they mean so much to me. After my mothers day post, my dad said "You know, Fathers Day is coming....." I told him not to worry, I had not forgotten! :) Since I have a very linear style of thinking, I tend to think in lists. So, as with mothers day, I would like to list the awesome things about the fathers in my life.

To Aaron: My Husband, My Friend, Father of my Children

- He works hard and is willing to do what it takes to take care of us.
-He has always been an "active participant" in the role of fatherhood- always willing to change diapers, help feed, hold a crying baby in the middle of the night, etc. I LOVE this!
-I am grateful that he enjoys working on cars and that he has a natural knack for it. I know he has saved us thousands by fixing our cars and house issues by himself. I think it is awesome that he likes to have the boys around while he works. He is a good example to them. I am thankful that he is excited to teach them what he knows. (I love this picture of Kenny- already Like Father, Like Son!)

-I love that you can see in his face how much he loves the kids, as in the top photo. (yes, that is the girls footprints stamped on his hands- just minutes after they were born! Soooo cool!)
I love these following pictures- even though they are simple and you can't really see Aaron's face, you can still see or sense the wonder inside him as he looks at his brand new daughters sleeping together.


-I love that after 10 years we are not only spouses and parents, but friends. While we both have other friends and interests, we both still look forward to the time we can spend together. I love that we are still not tired of each other. We enjoy talking to each other. He usually calls at least once a day from work just to say hi! I love watching TV with him after the kids go to bed and I love our dates.

-I think it is great that he doesn't mind sharing Father's Day with Kenny's birthday. (Kenny's birthday is tomorrow so we had a big cookout today. More on that tomorrow....)

-I am grateful that he loves spending time with the kids. Here is a picture of the Clippers game he took the boys to Saturday night. They had so much fun. He forgot to take the camera, but I snapped a picture when they got home. They didn't get home until about 9:30 and the boys were still so excited about the night, they could hardly stand still for a picture. They will remember this forever. I think Aaron was as excited as they were! (I know the shirts say the "jets"- the first 2000 through the gates got a free jets shirt!) -This picture was taken Easter 07. I love how proud he is of his family. He is the best!

Thank you for loving us so much and working so hard. You are an incredible husband and father. I love you more now than ever!

To My Dad.....
-My Dad has a gift for being a grandpa. I love that he is so involved in our lives. We see him usually twice a week and I love how everyone gets so excited when they see him.

-In this picture, he is holding my newborn girls and my sister-in-law's baby(not his grandchild) who was born just 9 days before. Can you see how proud he is?

-He is constantly volunteering to babysit so we could go out. There are times when we tell him no because we can't afford to go anywhere, so he has paid for us to go to a movie. He is very generous and loves to help others. He is always helping my older brother and my grandparents, who need a lot of assistance. During most of the winter, he took time out from work so he could take Kenny to school so I didn't have to load the babies up in the cold. He is always looking for ways he can help out.

-we often say he is "addicted" to his grandchildren because he can't stand to go too long without seeing them- we say he goes through "withdrawal!" (this picture is him with Meghan)
-He worships my mom and has always been good about showing how much he loves her and does special things for her. I have always appreciated this example. I think kids need to know that their parents love each other. I never doubted their love for each other.

-He works so hard to help despite the fact that he has suffered with Multiple Sclerosis for at least 15 years now. His pain level is often unbearable, but he always smiles and hates to let it slow him down.

-He was always involved in things I did in school. I always liked it when he came on band trips with us. (maybe because I used him as a walking ATM. Sorry dad..... :))

-When I went to Kindergarten, he was so nervous about his little girl going to school. He had a voice pager for work at the time. He wanted me to page him after school to let him know I was home. I would call his pager every day and say "Daddy, I'm home, I love you" and repeat it several times before hanging up. I am grateful he still remembers that and tells the story with a smile.

I could never thank you enough for all you do for us. Thank you for being such a loving and giving father and grandfather.


To My Father-In-Law

-To my kids, he is the exciting "Grandpa Chuck"
(Can you tell by this picture which parent Aaron resembles??)

- My kids always get excited to go spend time with him and he loves hanging with the kids.

-He loves to go boating and also enjoys flying a small plane. I think it is appropriate that he lives with a river running through his back yard and a small airport strip in his front yard (not kidding...) He always brings a sense of adventure that we all love. He is someone who loves to get out there and enjoy life.
-Whenever someone is sick, or a new baby arrives, he is always right there!

-I first met him as a teenager, when Aaron and I started dating in high school. I was a timid, scared teenager, but he loved me and welcomed me into the family from day one. Every year, the family has a large family reunion. They always take a large family photo. The first year I went, long before we married, I intended to hang back from the photo since I wasn't part of the family. He scoffed and said "You are here, you are part of the family- you get in the picture!" I could tell he wasn't one to argue with. He always made me feel like part of the family long before it was official.

Thank you for always loving us and being there for us- you are a wonderful Father, Father-in-law, and Grandpa!

To my "Step" Father-in-law, Bob:

-Ever since he married Aaron's mom in 1995- he has always loved us and cared for us like we were his own.

-He treats Aaron's mom very well and is truly a good, honest man.

-Event though he didn't enter Aaron's life until Aaron was 18, he always found time to spend with him. He taught Aaron so many things that Aaron is so grateful for.

-They moved to Florida about 2 years ago so we don't get to see him as often as we would like, but my kids often fondly recall "Grandpa Bob." They were so excited to go on our trip to Florida last November to spend time with him and "Grandma Janet." This is a picture of that trip. You can see Kenny cuddled up next to him at thanksgiving dinner. (don't you love the spread of food???) It looks like Bob is thinking... "I think maybe there is one last scrap of meat on this leg and I'm going to get it!"

-He has always been there for us. When Aaron became very sick and was hospitalized several years ago, he was right there doing whatever was needed to help pull us through.

-While they were living here, he was always willing to come help Aaron with projects around the house. We are grateful for his knowledge, time and love!

Thank you for loving Janet and for loving us like your own. We are grateful that you are in our lives.

So, to these 4 wonderful men, and all the dad's out there........
Happy Father's Day!!!!!

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Isn't it great to have wonderful men in our lives. It was fun to read about your dad. I didn't realize he came around so often. That is wonderful to have him so close.

Kelly said...

I loved that post about all the men in your lives!! That was wonderful, and you do have so many great people around you for examples for your children! I love the footprints on Aaron's hands- such a great idea!

The Cochran Family said...

What a beautiful tribute! You have some great men in your life!

Autumn said...

Wow, so awesome to have so many great Dads!!! Holy cow, Aaron so looks like his pops. I love your Dad's smiles. I will forever have it etched in my mind how much your Dad loves your Mom. Unreal-and so tender. Love it.

Jen said...

Seeing those pictures of your dads with your twins brought back so many memories for when mine were first born! ....which was just four months ago, but still!