Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Growing Like Weeds!

**disclaimer** For non-family members, this may be a boring post. Feel free to skim or skip!

Today we finally had the girls' 18 month checkup (now that they are nearly 19 mos...). I always look forward to checkups because I love to track their growth and talk about them to the doctor at a time when they are well. We are actually very fortunate to rarely be in the doctors office other than well visits because they are rarely sick enough to go to the doctor. When both of the girls have an appointment, I try to take someone else with me. Today, my sister Julie went with me and I am so glad she did- it would have been nearly impossible on my own. When we walked into the office, both girls happily played in the waiting room. When our names were called, we walked back to the exam room. As soon as we entered the exam room, Meghan started crying. She remembered where she was.... She cried the entire time- even when there was no doctor or nurse in the room. And, anytime either one of them touched her as part of the exam, she would scream. Ellie did well and was calm most of the time. When someone would touch her she would fuss, but then when they stopped she was fine.

Here are their growth results:
The doctor commented that they are both very tall, but proportionate and very healthy!

Ellen:
Weight: 28 lbs. 14 oz. (95th %)
Height: 36 in. (95%)
Head Circumference: 19 3/4 in. (95th%)

Meghan:
Weight: 26 lbs (75th%)-approx. see below
Height: 34 1/2 in. (95%)- if accurate- she was squirming and screaming pretty bad!
Head circumference: 19 1/2 in. (95%)
-She screamed so bad when we put her on the scale and she would not stay there- she kept trying to reach for me and fall/climb off. We had to weigh her by myself standing on the scale while holding her and then standing on the scale without her and subtracting to get her approximate weight. I didn't really want to be weighed today, but oh well....

Anyway, development is good- they look great, growth is great, no signs of autism! I am so grateful for my happy healthy babies! They needed only one shot (great way to reinforce Meghan's new anxiety!!). We saw a new doctor today because our old doctor left to start her own practice. I do like the one we saw today. We talked about the snotty noses a little. (recap- both girls were snotty constantly from Christmas to April- in April our old doctor suggested putting them on Claritin for suspected allergies for a while. If it worked (which it did) to stop at the end of June to see if snot started again.) We stopped the Claritin at the end of June and Ellie has been fine, but Meghan did get snotty again after a couple weeks so I put her back on it. I asked the doctor how to tell the difference between allergies and a cold and she said it is hard to tell, but said if the snot doesn't clear up on it's own or if the Claritin works, there is a good chance it is allergies. She said seasonal outdoor allergies are in the spring, but if it started in December, than it could be indoor allergies (dust, pets, etc.- we have plenty of all of that!). She also said that using Claritin daily indefinitely is fine and safe, so I will keep Meghan on it for a while and see how it goes.

Here are a few totally cute pictures of the girls just for fun! I haven't posted much about them lately it seems (Jacob is next!).

Meghan's favorite words are "phone" (pronounced "fo") and "shoe" (pronounced "sheew"). I think I may be in trouble.....This is Ellie climbing on the table. I can't keep either girl off. Ellie found Aaron's church folder and decided to decorate the contents within with a pen! She loves to color!In these pictures of Ellen and Meghan, they are wearing adorable outfits that my sister, Julie bought for them. She loves to spoil "her babies!!"**keep reading on to the next couple posts if you haven't checked it in a few days- I have been a busy blogger!!**

5 comments:

Kelly said...

They really are growing and changing so much, Amanda!!They are just too cute and so curious! I love the matching outfits all the time, they are always looking so darling! Sorry, Meghan about the shots, they are never fun!! SO glad they are growing healthily and doing so well!

Katie said...

Oh my word your girls are HUGE!!!! Reid has an appointment next month. I'm sure they're close to his height. ...possibly taller. And he's a whole year older. Although Reid is a pretty hefty kid. He probably out weighs them...even minus a foot and fibula. They look old, too.

How sad that Dr. Sant is gone. We miss her.

Anonymous said...

WOW! And to think my 3 year old only has 2 pounds and one inch on Ellen! You have such big kids!! :) I'm happy everything went decently!

-Sara Haley

Stephanie said...

Your girls are weeds! They are really cute though and it sounds like they keep you so busy busy busy!

Mom Janet said...

It doesn't surprise me since the boys were the same way at that age. All the kids are growing so fast. Meghan and Ellen are just adorable even when they are screaming at the doctors office!! They definitely have their own unique personalities. Love the pictures.