Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

How To Make Brownies...With Young Children Around...

This is an official contest entry that I read about on this blog. This blog is written by Jen, who I met when she "blog hopped" to my blog a while back. I have enjoyed reading her blog- she has 9 children, including infant twins- which gives us something in common. For a direct link to the contest, click the image below:
For my entry, I would like to tell you how to make brownies when you have young children (including two young toddlers) in the house. I did not include the exact recipe because the steps apply to most recipes, but it is Mint Chocolate Brownies. By clicking on the the highlighted words in the previous sentence, you can see the recipe, where I posted it on a recipe blog that I contribute to. Here goes:

How to Make Brownies- with young children in the house

Beginning Tips:
-Allow older children to help. They will love to do it, appreciate the attention, and learn quite a bit from doing it.







-Be patient about the mess- it can always be cleaned up later.








-Read the recipe and make sure you have everything. (Walk frantically over to neighbors house and ask for an egg when you realize you are one short and be grateful for good neighbors!!)








Okay, we are ready! Let's make Brownies!!!

Step 1:
Give the toddlers (in my case, the girls- Ellen & Meghan) a snack to occupy them








Step 2:

Allow the dog to clean up the snack that the girls just threw on the floor without eating. At least you don't have to take time to get the dust buster out....










Step 3:

Preheat the oven to correct temperature and butter and flour the pan. Set aside.








Step 4:

Clean up mess of cereal spilled on the floor because you forgot to latch the cabinet....











Step 5:

Whisk together the flour (measured into measuring cup with a spoon), baking soda, baking powder and salt.








Step 6:

Remove the climbing child from the table.












Step 7:

Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool a bit.











Step 8:

Remove the other climbing child from the table.












Step 9:

Beat in sugar until well mixed. Add eggs one at a time, beating in each one until fully incorporated.







(Step 9 1/2- if child is cracking eggs, pick egg shells out of batter before mixing...)








Step 10:
Repeat steps 6&8


Step 11:
Add in required flavorings (in this case, vanilla and peppermint) and beat well.








Step 12:
Resolve fight between quarreling toddlers


Step 13:

Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, just until incorporated- do not over mix!








Step 14:
Repeat steps 6&8

Step 15:
Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake 30 min. or until done.


Step 16:

Make the childrens' day by allowing them to lick the beaters (while YOU get the bowl and spoon!!), realizing the chance of food borne illness in this case is highly unlikely and worth the risk!










Step 17:

Change the two diapers that have been stinking up the kitchen the last several minutes.








Step 18:

Have the children help clean up the mess.








Step 19:
When brownies are done, remove from oven and place pan on cooling rack.

Step 20:

Prepare icing and spread gently on brownies when completely cool








Step 21:
Repeat steps 6&8

Step 22:
Enjoy the fruits of your labors..... and ponder whether or not it is really worth it to bake ever again while your children are little...





ENJOY!!!!!


13 comments:

Suzanne said...

That is too funny! I love how you documented every step. I think we are on autopilot so often that getting a climbing child down is not something we usually think about but such an important step!Isn't amazing how patient we can be at times. The recipe sounds delicious. I will have to check it out.

Lauri said...

You forgot step 23...take hundreds of photos along the way so you can post it on your blog.

Now we can see why so many people go to the bakery and buy things ready-made, huh?

trentnjeanmorello said...

Trent and I are laughing hysterically! Very good, very good! You know, it sounds like you have cooking under control with children!

Mom2my9 said...

Oh my gosh, Amanda! That was the cutest thing! I know EXACTLY how that goes. Well, not exactly as I only have ONE toddler and and the baby twins, but I soon will be exactly in your shoes. That was just precious. Thank you so much for entering that! Also, you must be pretty good with the computer because you were able to figure out how to make the picture link to my page. Most people don't know how to do that. Great job on that and on the post! Good luck!

Kelly said...

That was fun, and I am tired just after reading that!! I don't make brownies from scratch, for the very reason that it is too time consuming!! I like the box ones!! I am glad you are the patient ones, and those look delish, by the way!

The Cochran Family said...

No i think she got step 23. and step 24, wash your hands and kids hands 100 times! So fun! I want one, they are my fav food ever...well next to a GS Samoa cookie! :)

Katie said...

THat was PERFECT! I'd say I can totally relate, but I can't imagine having two the same age. PArker and Reid really egg each other on to cause trouble, but it's not quite the same as twins.

I would have added a step in the middle (as I did yesterday while baking). *Get frustrated *send the kids outside to run through the sprinkler *they get cleaned up outside while I finish ALONE.

I hope you win. That was fantastic!

Abbey said...

You are so funny and brave all at the same time. I am so happy that you shared that experience with us. You are such a good mom.

Bon Bon said...

Your account of baking with children is so well written I feel like I was there with you!!!

Emilee said...

yeah for sure just call me on my cell and tell me the imfo, but yeah, is it ok if i bring sam my friend who came with me last time also? so, yes for sure and take ur time there? ur kids are so easy and just so much fun too be with!
Em!

Mom Janet said...

I smell another entry to the Columbus Dispatch along with those baking brownies. That was just hysterical and totally enjoyable. I felt like I was right there with you during the whole process. Kudos for baking from scratch - the closest to scratch in my kitchen is when I "scratch" open the box and follow the directions (hehehe). Points for Duncan Hines, Pillsbury and Betty Crocker. You have the patience of a saint.

Autumn said...

Amanda that's darling. What a fun account. I think this is the precise type of entry that 10 years from now you'll be so glad you recorded. Fun pix too.

Kristin said...

Way to make it real, Amanda. And I share your philosophy on raw egg consumption. I am now officially craving mint brownies, which I have never craved before.