Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

A "published" Author....

Does everyone remember this post? After reading it, my mom suggested I submit it to our local newspaper. They have a column that runs on Saturday for anyone to submit an essay for- it can be funny, serious, whatever. So, at her suggestion, I did. I rewrote it, making it sound more professional. Then, I sent it to my mom and my friend, Jackie (who is working on her PhD in English..) to proof read and give suggestions. Much to my surprise, it was accepted and ran in todays paper! I was quite surprised! Of course, they took out a couple sentences and rephrased a couple things in their final editing, but I suppose they know better than me! I don't want to directly link it here because it gives away about exactly where I am. I am not too worried about psychos, but why make it easy for them to find me if they are out there? So, here it is, copy and pasted. Enjoy!

As a mother of four young children -- 7- and 5-year-old boys, and twin 18-month-old girls -- I am often cautious about venturing out with the quartet in tow.

On the rare occasions when I am brave enough to go somewhere (the grocery store, perhaps, or the park), I am frequently told by strangers that "You have your hands full" -- as if I were unaware of my load.

One outing nonetheless brought home just how full my hands are.

From time to time, I baby-sit at a church nursery while the members of a community choir practice or perform.

So, on a recent day, I dropped off my older son at school, then headed to the church.

I was scheduled to watch the children of choir members during a performance and lunch. Given the extended period, I had packed lunches for all four of mine and myself -- in addition to diapers, extra clothes and the many other essentials that a mother of young ones must tote.

Between packing supplies and getting my son to school, the morning had obviously been hectic.

As I took the girls out of their car seats, they immediately wanted to dart out into the parking lot -- in different directions, of course. I quickly grabbed both with one hand while also trying to gather the diaper bag, lunches and other items with the other.

To avoid having to fumble with the keys after I closed the door, I pushed down the automatic lock. Then I handed the smaller bag containing our beverages to my 5-year-old (who acted as if I'd asked him to carry an elephant) and shut the door.

As I heard the locks engage, I realized that the larger bag -- the one containing our lunches, the diapers, my cell phone and my keys -- was still in the van.

I almost panicked, until I remembered that my husband works only 10 minutes away. Surely he could bail me out.

Feeling better, I made it across the parking lot and into the building with my three younger children. Because I was running a little late -- typical of me -- a few of the moms were already waiting to say goodbye and leave for the concert.

Embarrassed, I admitted what I'd done and asked to borrow a cell phone. I called my husband, who agreed to come unlock the doors.

"My knight in shining armor," I thought as the women left.

About 10 minutes later, my husband poked his head through the nursery door and handed me the rescued bag.

Grinning, he said, "You know, you could have just reached in at the open driver's-side window and unlocked the door!"

My eyes grew wide as I recalled enjoying a warm breeze through the window on the drive to the church.

I had been too flustered to notice that the window remained open.

At least I kept the girls from running into the parking lot.

Amanda, 30, works "chaos

control" full time.

So, there it is! My first "published" work. (Yes, Jackie & Ben- I know- not really.... I should keep my day job! :))

12 comments:

Katie said...

Congrats! It's my dream to be a columnist...even if is is just a local paper. That is so exciting. I had something like that published in the college paper. It is SO EXCITING. I'm happy for you. You've given me motivation to go out and start trying to get some of my stories in print.

Katie said...

I just re-read it. It is VERY well written. I say QUIT your day job! ;)

It HAS to beat "Chaos Control."

Kelly said...

I am so proud of you! That is quite an accomplishment, and I am so impressed!! I immediately remembered the story after I started reading, and then laughed again!! It is so good, and you are so great! Congrats, again!!

trentnjeanmorello said...

Congrats! That is so awesome!!! YAY! I remember I was excited to have something published in the college newspaper. I still think that story is SO funny! Something you will be able to tell your kids and grandkids!!!

Autumn said...

AMANDA!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! Since I've heard about this essay submission a few years ago, I've been trying to think of something to enter. Each father's day, mother's day,that passes, and many events in between I tell myself I'll do it...and still haven't. You're inspiring me to do it! I LOVE it. Nice job, and cute new picture!!

Suzanne said...

How fun! That is a great story and I'm sure one you will not soon forget. I see now why you were asking if I got the Saturday paper. Congratulations! That must feel like a great accomplishment.

Abbey said...

That is so awesome. I am glad to see that it made it in the paper, I remember you telling me about doing it. I am happy you followed through, it was a great read.

Valarie said...

That is sooo exciting!

Lauri said...

First of all, what a funny experience! I think all of us have done things like that.

Way to go to get the story in a local paper. Those are the kinds of things I like to read when I pick up the paper. Keep 'em coming!

Stephanie said...

Hi Amanda! I am your mom's vt and she told me about your published article and I read it in the paper already! You did great and I love the story! Congrats! You should keep on writing! If you wanna check out my blog, email me at christensenstephanie(at)hotmail and I can send you an invite!

Bon Bon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bon Bon said...

Been there, done that!