Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Very Special Girls Night Out

Last night, I got to go on a very special girls night in honor of my younger sister, Emily, who will soon be welcoming the arrival of her second child. Her baby girl will likely be born when Emily is induced on August 8th (08/08/08!! :)) and will be named Savanna. (Spelled without the "h" because Emily's real first name is Sara- spelled without the "h"). In her preparations for the upcoming birth, she was already planning on getting a pedicure yesterday. Sunday night, I received a call from her husband, Kris, telling me he was wanting to arrange a special surprise for her. He wanted to send Emily with me, our other sister Julie, and Emily's friend Amy in a Limo to get pedicures together and then go out to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory- all his treat!! I was shocked at this amazing thing he wanted to do and said I would love to go. He stressed that this was a secret and I was not to tell her. No problem, I said. Well, Emily called me the next morning to say that Kris was too excited to keep his own secret and she knew all about it! She was so excited!

So, the night was wonderful! It was a challenge to get there because Meghan became sick and was throwing up. But thanks to wonderful parents and a husband who didn't want me to miss it, it all worked out. I wanted to take pictures, especially of Emily (with her big belly!) and Kris together and of us getting our pedicures, but, like a dork, I forgot my camera. The Limo didn't work out after all due to a scheduling conflict with the company, so Kris got us all manicures as well instead! We spent almost 4 hours getting pedicures and manicures together and it was so much fun just to relax and be together and talk and laugh. I had only had a pedicure twice before in my life (once right before the girls were born and once as a treat from my best friend, Jackie, to all of her bridesmaids right before she was married. Not to digress, but it is cool because she was married on 07/07/07!) And, I had only had a manicure once before (at said wedding last year!). The only picture I have is of the finished product that I took when I got home:
Never thought I would put a picture of my feet on the WWW, but I had to show off the pretty flowers- and this is a very rare treat for me. As much as I would love to, I can't imagine ever being able to have this done "just because"- it has always been a treat by someone else.

I even did something I had never done before, despite both of my sisters (especially Julie) begging me over the years to do so. I got my eyebrows waxed! Now, to you faithful waxers and pluckers, this may sound silly or like no big deal, but I have never done anything with my eyebrows because plucking is too irritating and painful and I am not patient enough to do a good job. And waxing just sounded scary. Well, Emily was doing it, so I thought- why not?! It didn't hurt as bad as I feared and I love the results!! I must say, I am proud of myself! Now, whether or not I do well at maintaining it, we shall see.

Anyway, after the fun at the salon, we went to a wonderful dinner at the Cheesecake Factory where we gorged ourselves on incredibly good food and laughed and chatted for a long time. I didn't even get home until 11:30! I love my sisters dearly and I am so grateful to live close to them and get to see them regularly. Every time we get together, we laugh at how incredibly different we all are, but we have a bond that will never be broken and I love to spend time with them. We always have so much fun together. Maybe partly because of our different personalities. Thank you, Kris, for this amazing evening- it was so fun and relaxing and meant so much. I know Emily enjoyed her chance to be pampered before the upcoming new baby. I can't wait to meet my new little niece and hold her and tell her I love her.

6 comments:

trentnjeanmorello said...

Sounds like a really awesome time!!!

Katie said...

Better than any baby shower could ever be...hands down. what a generous husband.

Kelly said...

That sounds amazing!! What fun!! I long for sisters to do things like that with! I only have in-laws for sisters, and it just isn't the same! Lucky you!!
I love pedicures, but love eye brow waxing even more!! I need mine done desperately- next week is my appt! SO exciting, and not as much pain as if you plucked them yourself!

Lauri said...

I love pedicures too...that is one treat I ALWAYS make sure is in my budget. How fun to do it together.

Suzanne said...

Nothing better than a fabulous pedicure! And even better when someone else is treating!! What a wonderful night with your sisters. You are lucky they all live nearby.

Stephanie said...

What a fun time for you girls! It sounds like my kind of day...pedicures, someone else helping me with my unruly eyebrows, and cheesecake factory! That's so nice that you're so close with your sisters!