Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ten Years Ago Today....

Aaron and I were married in the Chicago Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints.At the time, the building of the new Columbus Temple had been announced, but had not yet been built. The closest temples were Washington DC and Chicago. The Washington Temple was closed for annual maintenance, so we went west. (For those who do not know much about the Mormon Faith- here is a quick explanation. A temple is different then a church building- they are considered to be the most sacred of places. We believe that a marriage given under correct authority (granted by God) lasts beyond "till death do you part" and lives on eternally. We believe the family will play an important role in God's plan after this life. While our church buildings are open and welcome to everyone, only members of the church who meet certain requirements are able to enter, due to the sacredness. We do not do this exclude anyone- we wish for all to be there- it is all simply part of a progression.) This temple, along with all others, was incredibly beautiful and peaceful. It was a wonderful day! Here is a picture of us coming out of the temple after the ceremony:
It was actually quite a busy week. The Saturday before the wedding, I moved all of our stuff into our new apartment (I thought our house was small....you should of seen that apartment- I suppose we thought we couldn't afford anymore- don't really think we could!). Then, on Monday August 3, we left for Chicago. It was Aaron, Jackie and I. We had to go up early to get our marriage license and we did not want to pay for two hotel rooms, so Jackie came along to share a hotel room with the two of us, making it more appropriate. So, on August 4th, we went to get our license and it was incredibly easy. Took about 20 minutes. I had been so worried and called them several times to be sure of their hours and what we would need- so afraid we would get there and not have something we needed. So, since that was so simple, we had the day to explore Chicago before our families got there that evening. We all went out for Pizza when they got there. (I like to say we had pizza for our "rehearsal dinner").

Then, Wednesday the 5th we went to the Temple and were married. It was a beautiful and simple ceremony. One nice things about these weddings is they are simple and spiritual- no fluff that comes with many other weddings (not to put those down- those are fun too!)- no bridesmaids, or huge expenses. Just you and your spouse-to-be kneeling across the alter from each other with a few close family members to witness. The officiator counceled with us a bit and it was all just very simple and beautiful. I don't remember the words he said (it was a big day- I was overwhelmed- and it was 10 years ago...) but I remember feeling peace and happiness. Here are some family pictures after the ceremony:From left to right is Aaron, my mom (Sara), my brother (Randy), me, My dad (Buck) and my youngest sister (Sara Emily).This is some of Aaron's family. They will never know how much it meant to us to have them there. I know it was a tough trip to make and they are not members of our faith and so were unable to witness the wedding, but they came anyway to support us. I will never forget how they were there for us. From left to right is Aaron's youngest sister (Rachael), me, Aaron's mom (Janet), Aaron, and Aaron's older sister (Sarah.)

Also, of course, my friend Jackie was there and her parents as well, it would not have been the same without them- I really needed them there and was so grateful. Why do I not have a picture of them? I couldn't find one- what was wrong with us??? I do have a picture of Jackie later in the post..
This is Aaron and I with the Bishop of our ward at the time. I found it unbelievable but was so thrilled that he came- and with his family! He was certainly a busy man and it was so special to have him travel two states to be there.

So, anyway, after the wedding, we went to an Olive Garden for lunch all together- there was 16 of us and it was so much fun! After lunch, everyone except us headed east and Aaron and I enjoyed 2 days in Chicago for our "honeymoon." This picture was in a little shop we browsed around on Michigan Ave. It was some kind of toy shop, I believe and it had this magnetic board with letters. Aaron just had to...


We drove home on Friday. Saturday, the 8th we had a large reception at our local church building with all family and friends in attendance.
There was lots of dancing! (This was our "first" dance)And cake of course!!
And Jackie caught the bouquet in the toss. She actually wanted nothing to do with it. We made her get up there. She didn't even put her hands up- it just went straight to her as if I had planned it. She has been married just over a year now! :)



And my brother had to "decorate" our car for us.


Who would have known that 10 years later we would be the parents of 4 beautiful wonderful children and love each other more than we did when we got married?

For those of you who are curious as to how we met: We met in the 10th grade in geometry class (okay, Aaron, I'll say it.... Aaron likes to say "Yah, she had all the right angles...." ha ha...). We dated throughout high school and then he dumped me early in college for another girl. About a year and half later, he started calling and asking me out again, but I ignored him for a while. Obviously, he won eventually! :) I see now that the time apart was just what we needed to be sure of what we wanted and to be ready to commit.

Sorry, I know this post has been long- but it is our first anniversary since I started blogging and it is our 10th after all- so it's a big one!

This weekend we will be going on a trip together to celebrate the occasion. More on that later!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats Aaron & Amanda. I love you guys. Amanda, you are the best thing to ever happen to my brother - I know you make him extremely happy.

Here is to many more years of happiness and love.

Sarah

Katie said...

Ten years IS a big one. Congrats. Enjoy your trip together. You guys deserve it.

Stephanie said...

Happy anniversary! Thanks for sharing your dating/wedding stories, they were fun to read! You guys are great together!

trentnjeanmorello said...

Congrats on 10 years!!! YAY! Your pictures are so beautiful, and just think you have such a beautiful eternal family!

Enjoy your anniversary!

Afton said...

Congrats!!! What a fun entry. I love old pics. I didn't know he dumped you for a while to play the field. Darn those boys. (Jake had the need to do that too...) I love great stories. I hope you have a fun anniversary!!

btw, I LOVE the top picture on your blog. Where was that taken?

Suzanne said...

Happy 10th to you! What a fun story. We went to Olive Garden too for our wedding luncheon! Have a wonderful weekend celebrating 10 years together.

Abbey said...

congratulations, I enjoyed reading about your journey to the temple. Your pictures are classic.

Valarie said...

Congrats! We are coming up on ten years, as well. It's amazing how much can happen in ten years!

Kelly said...

Congrats on 10 years, That is so fantastic!! I love the pictures, and I love that all your family and friends came- it reminds me of mine, too- I love that!

You were a beatiful bride!

Kristin said...

Thanks for posting those pictures - marriage is so sacred, and it comes through in the photos.