Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Welcome, Savanna!!!

My beautiful niece, Savanna Austin, was born last Friday, August 8th (8/8/08) at 3:40pm. She was 8lbs 1 oz. and is very healthy! I hadn't yet posted because I was waiting until I could meet her in person. I couldn't believe it took a whole week to see her. Aaron and I went out of town the day she was born and then I had a cold early in the week, along with Ellie's horrible virus- I knew it would be better to keep the germs away from the new baby. So, finally today, I got to see her beautiful little face and hold her. As you can see, she is a cutie!
You may think I mis spelled her name. You may think I meant to type "Savannah", but no, it is Savanna. My sister's name is Sara. No "h", so she held the tradition. Austin is my grandmother's maiden name. I think it is beautiful!

For such a pretty little girl, she sure made a statement coming into the world. Sara's labor was induced a little before her due date because her first baby (Joey, now 3) was late and 10 pounds. Around mid day, the baby's heart rate plummeted to around 50bpm (!!!) and would not go back up. Nurses, residents, etc. began to panic. This was not good. They got a hold of her doctor who had them turn Sara in different ways, trying to stimulate the baby. Didn't work. So they stopped the Pitocin and gave her a shot to stop labor- figuring the labor was too much to fast for the baby. Luckily, after stopping labor, her heart rate picked right back up. So, they slowly restarted labor. Luckily little Savanna handled it better this time with no more major heart rate problems. It dropped some, but not dangerously low. Sara's pain level went way up, so they kept increasing her epidural, but it wasn't working. They then discovered that it had fallen out, so the anesthesiologist replaced it and also gave her a spinal. Well, in the process, her spinal column lining was nicked, causing a small leak in spinal fluid, resulting in a true spinal headache. For those who have never heard of it, it is a headache above all others with no relief. The doctor told her they do sometimes go away on their own, or she could be given a "blood patch" to cure it. (The blood patch takes platelets from under the arm and injects them in the spine, clotting the hole, curing the headache.) She opted to wait it out, but by Wednesday the pain was still incredibly high so she went to the ER and had the blood patch done. She is now feeling much better.

The picture above shows Sara with her hubby Kris and baby Savanna soon after birth. The next picture is baby Savanna, 1 week old today and Sara feeling soooo much better.

This makes niece/nephew #8!! I love it! I now have 4 nephews and 4 nieces. I love them all! Welcome Savanna! I look forward to getting to know you. You are beautiful!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging about my baby! And you got some awfully precious pics of her, too! I forgot to show you her room - it is too awesome! Next time you're this way you have to stop in and see it. I love you! And little Savanna loves her Aunt Amanda! :)

-Sara

Katie said...

I will never have an excuse to complain about labor again. That is horrible and painful and scary. Yikes!

trentnjeanmorello said...

how beautiful! I cannot wait to meet her! I bet you are an awesome aunt!!!

Kelly said...

She is precious! Sara looks fabulous one week later!! I promise to never complain about labor after that, either!! SHe is a trooper!
How wonderful to add a new baby girl to the fam!
How is Ellie doing anyway?! Better, I hope!

The Cochran Family said...

Ahhh, it is soo great, but weird to see our little sisters...just babies...having babies! Just think how our moms thing! She looks great though! And the baby is precious! Commenting on the below...your hocking hills trip looks like so much fun! Proovs you don't have to go somewhere with palm trees to have a good couples vaca!!!

Mom2my9 said...

Wow! Congratulations! To you and your sister. What a cute little, I mean BIG baby! 10 pounds! Again, congratulations. Hey, Amanda, you might want to check out my blog today. See you there!

Autumn said...

Congrats!! Emily looks beautiful-NOT like she just had a baby. I am so amazed. I canNOT get over that story. Oh I am in pain just thinking about it!!! I'm so glad she's better now!!