Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Monday, September 29, 2008

A Day at the Apple Orchard

Today I went with Jacob's Kindergarten class on a field trip to a local apple orchard. This was Jacob's first field trip and first trip ever on a school bus and he was "just a little" excited.

Before today, they created these adorable apple t-shirts by printing them with real apples dipped in paint. This is Jacob with a couple of his friends, Mitchell in one picture and Samantha in the other.


While waiting for the tour guide, they sang their apple song with sign language that they had been practicing..... sooooo cute!!! Here they are doing the sign for "tree".


They got to pick apples to fill their own bag and then got to eat one right off the tree when they were done. I must say- that was probably the best tasting apple I have had all year!




Then, they got to see the factory on their tour. They showed the kids an old apple grading machine- used back in 1922. Then, took them into the factory with the new machine used today. It washes the apples, workers inspect them, then they are sorted by size (smaller ones put aside for juice/cider) and packaged for sale. It was truly a "working farm"- people were working and the children got to observe! I think I was as impressed as the kids were! (the first is the old one)


This is the new one (like 50 times bigger!)

They even got to taste some apple juice and watched a filmstrip about the life cycle of an apple tree.



Then everyone posed together for a class picture, with some apple trees in the background.

I think I had as much fun as the kids did and I am so glad I was able to go and spend time with Jacob. Poor guy often seems to be "stuck in the middle" between his big brother Kenny and the girls and I often feel I don't give him near enough attention. It was wonderful to be able to spend the day with just me and him. I just kept looking at him and couldn't believe how cute he was and how fast he is growing up! I love this kid! (Isn't he just adorable?!)

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

How fun! I'm doing that tomorrow with Spencer's class. I went with him in preschool but this year we too get to ride the bus. Very exciting:)

Katie said...

He is getting old and SO cute! Life is hard on middle kids sometimes. What a great trip.

That's a fantastic picture of you. You're looking thin.

Lauri said...

I'm glad you had a good time...especially considering the cost of the trip ($70.00 for fingerprintit clearance card and $$$ for the T-shirt). Apple days are so much fun when the weather is crisp and cool.

And I agree with Katie, you do look thin.

Valarie said...

Ohhh, that looks like so much fun. I love Fall!!

Kelly said...

I loved the tour you shared with me! I went with Alex in Kindergarten, and I am going with Leah's class next week. Such a fun place to go and love the orchard too.
You look amazing!!

Autumn said...

Yes, he is just adorable. Those shirts are so cute, what a good idea-to keep track of them-and for the memory.

Stephanie said...

Cute trip to the orchard! Love the shirts, I've not seen that done. Saydria gets to go to the pumpkin patch next week so we are getting excited about that already! Glad you guys survived the wind storm...I am your mom's VT so I get some recap on your life every so often. :)