Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Point Me Towards the Money Tree, Please!!!

Just a short 3 weeks ago, I was longing for school to start. I was ready for a routine again and looking forward to peaceful days as two out of my four children spent the day at school. But, as I expected, reality has smacked us over the head full force. Sure, the days are a little quieter with only half the usual load, but, I am finding, no less busy. At least the afternoons are perfectly quiet to accomplish what I can because as of 3:30- the peace is over until all are in bed. At 3:30, I pick my sleeping babies out of their cribs and put them straight in the car. We pick up the boys and are home by 4:00 where we get started on the mountain of homework brought home by my 2nd grader. Really, did I even have homework in the 2nd grade? If I did- it wasn't enough that I remember it. This takes AT LEAST one hour- no joke. While my Kindergartener has yet to bring home homework, the teacher has warned us...it will come! So, once homework is done, I must rush to make dinner with 4 crazy children running around and causing trouble since Aaron isn't home yet. Then, we eat quickly before rushing off to our evening commitment- whatever that may be on any given evening. Then of course, there is baths, reading and bed. Whew- just writing it makes me tired.....oh wait- I actually did all this today- no wonder I am tired.

Anyway, that really isn't the point of this post. As if all of the above hasn't overwhelmed me enough lately, not a single day has gone by this week where my children's backpack did not contain a request for money. It started simply- $8 needed for Jacob's upcoming field trip (and $4 for me as a chaperone, since I would like to go along) to the apple orchard. Then, $1.50 for a plain white t-shirt that they will make apple prints on. Then, $12 each for a special school t-shirt that they can wear on "spirit" days instead of their uniform shirts. Next, it is $4.50 for a subscription to a reading magazine for Kindergarten to use in class. Then, today we hit the mother load. They are instituting a policy that any chaperones going on a field trip or to camp that will be with small groups of children need to have a background check. Now, I do agree with this because I certainly don't want some creepy bad person with my children. However, they are "so kindly" offering the services of a mobile unit to do background checks that will come right to the school. They offer background checks with the FBI and some other agency for the "bargain" price of $40 for one or $70 for both!!! What???? $70 for probably some fingerprints and then running my name and prints through a database on a computer? Are you kidding me? But if I don't, I can't be a chaperone with a small group- and then I look like a bad parent for not volunteering (unless someone knows another way to get a background check? I think I had one done when I was subbing about 9 years ago, but that was 9 years ago.....) THEN if that isn't enough- they sent home a notice of school fees for the year- including camp fees (all grades go to a science related camp- required), field trip fees (so....why do I still have to pay extra for the apple orchard???), science lab fees, etc. This totals about $200 for both of my children.

And, can you believe- that in addition to all that sent home today- was also "market day" fliers??? Do they really expect us to fork out money for market day when we just got notified that we need to chop off an arm and a leg?

So, if someone knows the address of the nearest money tree, could you please pass it along so I can mapquest it?

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Man, that is a lot of money!! That sounds ridiculous for the background and fingerprinting- I think I paid about $30 for it a few years ago, so maybe it has gone up- but wow! You better start selling body parts to pay for that! So sorry- that is so much all at once- we don't even do market day- it is too pricey and a hassle to go pick it up and freeze it- we just don't do fund raisers either. Bad mom, I know.
The apple orchard sounds pricey,too- it's just apples!!
If I locate the money tree, I will so send you directions- I am doing a study with Spencer research this week - 12:30 to 1:30 everyday tasting mac and cheese for $100. That is my money tree this week, since I have to actually pay for that new washer next week!! It came at a good time. Have you ever done studies there? It is in Grandview, and you can take kids!! Bonus!
Hope today is better, and I will keep my eyes open for any bargains for ya!

Katie said...

I feel like our house is a whirlwind from the time Parker gets home until bedtime, too. And I only have one in preschool...no homework, no twin. I can't imagine how much worse it's going to get.

I cannot believe the amount of money they having been asking for...and it's only the third week of school. YIKES. Hopefully Pampered chef picks up, huh? I'm going to need to start making a little extra cash now to save up.

Lauri said...

Who ever said America offers free education?

Suzanne said...

And, why do we pay taxes? It's crazy how quickly everything adds up. The field trip sounds pricey. I am going there with Spencer this month and it's only $4/kid. I would ask them what the fees are for? Our YW seem to think there is a money tree so hopefully they find it soon!!

trentnjeanmorello said...

lol-I don't have any children, but I remember fees and things my Mom had to pay for when I was in school. Of course, that was ages ago so the prices are much more today, but I think that most, if not all schools charge for anything they can. Sure does sound really expensive!!! I will keep my eye out for a money tree for you!

Mom Janet said...

Your "money-pit" is just starting, girlfriend. Now you know why I was questioning and concerned about more children - the cost involved for every tiny little thing that they will do through their school years is just nuts. And it is worse now than when you and Aaron were in school because every school is facing extreme cutbacks in funding from the powers that be.

Don't get me wrong, I love all my grandchildren and am totally amazed that you can handle all of this chaos with your sanity intact (though questionable on those really wacky days!!!). I am a complete realist and a worried mother too. I know that God will provide all your needs - not necessarily your wants. He also gives us wisdom to know when "enough is enough" and to enjoy the blessings that you so abundantly have already.

Love you, bunches and bunches.

Abbey said...

You crack me up, I was just reading it and thinking oh my that is a lot of money, but you were right when you said that you needed to chop off an arm and a leg. At least you can have a sense of humor about it all.

Valarie said...

I do agree about the homework. Although, I swear Mikaily had more homework as a 2nd grader then she will as a 3rd grader.
I know what you mena about the whole asking fo rmoney thing, too. Although, this year for my kids fundraiser, they asked for us to give them names and phone numbers of people so they could call them and ask them for money instead of having us ask them to purchase overpriced, ugly wrapping paper. I am soooo not comfortable sicking any telemarketing dogs on any of my friends and/or family! I think I would rather have them ask me for money....

Mom2my9 said...

Things have gotten totally ridiculous! I wish I had a money tree, too. If you find one, will you give me a cutting?

The Cochran Family said...

I KNOW how you feel! We always thought babies were expensive huh? Now it's fee for this and that..and then paying to sports, dance, new shoes, new cleets, new glove, filed trips....here we go. I have a feeling it will just get worse!

Bon Bon said...

Some how it always works out. Heavenly Father will take care of you guys while you take care of all the wonderful little ones he sends you.

p.s.
I have a money tree, it just doesn't have any green leaves!

Amanda B. said...

Thanks for your kind words, Bonnie! :) I needed that!