Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Time Out for Women


Last weekend, I had the most amazing (and exhausting) weekend. I got to go to a "Time Out for Women" Conference. They are put on by Deseret Books, which publishes a lot of uplifting books and products-many authors from our Faith, but some who are not as well. I had heard of these conferences and always wanted to go, but I was never able to- either to lack of funds or too far distance (or nursing two newborns....). My sister heard they were holding one in Philadelphia and asked if I wanted to go. Yes!!! So, we made a weekend out of it. We got a whole group together and piled into her van and left about 10am Friday morning. (This is after I was up till 2:30 am trying to get the house cleaned and ready to go. I had not been able to get anything done during the day Thursday due to a sick child- another long story- but that is why I was up so late anyway.) I went with my sister-Emily, Emily's baby Savanna, my mom, and two of their friends- Brenda and Beth. The road trip itself was a lot of fun. I was able to get some Pampered Chef invites ready for an upcoming party and get some reading done. I also enjoyed chatting with everyone (as women do) and getting to know Beth and Brenda better. Here is a picture taken of us all at the conference:
From left to right: Brenda, me, baby Savanna, Beth, mom, Emily.

The conference was exactly what I needed. It was a day devoted to recharging our batteries, understanding our worth as women, staying strong during rough patches and so forth. They had several inspirational speakers and a lot of great music. As a free gift with our admission, we got a really nice tote bag (see below). I want to find a good use for it- other than smashed cheerios and leaked sippy cups. Also, since it was put on by a book company, they had virtually the entire book store there for us to shop. How convenient!! (grin...) With, of course, all the books written by the presenters. I bought two books- one I had been wanting before that day and one I bought after listening to the presenter. The first one I bought is "I Am A Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson- this is the one I had been wanting for a while. She was one of the presenters there. She used to be an anchor on the CBS early show and left her career to be home with her children. She writes about finding honor in her role as a mother, that we can speak it with pride. I really look forward to reading this one. Also, after listening to Emily Watts presentation, I wanted one of her books. I bought "Take Two Chocolates and Call Me in the Morning." Clearly my kind of book.... ha ha... Anyway, it gives practical advice to surviving the day to day chaos of motherhood. Something quite amazing happened as well that just completely made my day (as if everything I have already said wasn't enough...). We got there just as the conference was starting so we quickly took our seats. As I sit down, I feel a tap on my shoulder from someone behind me. I turn around and see my dear friend, Kristin, who I had not seen since she moved to New Jersey 2 years ago!! I have kept up with her a bit through her blog (check it out here) but had not actually gotten to speak with her since she left. She has always been someone I looked up to and was honored to call my friend and I have really missed her since she left. I could not have been more thrilled to see her there. We really enjoyed catching up during breaks. How awesome that I sat right in front of her! What are the odds?!?!
We left immediately after the conference, about 4pm, to head back to Ohio. It was a long evening....but, again, fun to sit and read and chat. Some women in our car wanted to go to Perkins for dinner and, since my sister's van has a GPS unit, they looked there for a Perkins. It said there was one on our route, so we started driving....and driving....and driving. It was a pretty drive off the freeway, no biggie since we were still headed west at least. We actually ended up going down Main St in Hershey, PA. Hershey is an awesome place, for those who have never been there. You can smell the chocolate in the air (no joking!) and the street lights look like this (look closely...). So, at least it was an enjoyable detour.The picture could be clearer, but hey, we were in a moving van... looking for a Perkins... Well, the Perkins was no where to be found, though we had been driving over an hour. Someone in the van spotted a Red Robin (yum!) so we stopped there for dinner...sooooo good! I got home about 3:30am and couldn't wait to collapse into bed. I just had to include these pictures as well:Savanna was not much into the car ride. Actually, she really didn't do too bad, but this picture is just too funny. At the hotel, Emily swaddled her to get her to sleep. She was just too cute. Does this make you think of anything?Can you say glow worm? Remember those? Too funny and cute! Love it! Anyway, this weekend was just amazing. A huge shout out to Aaron for doing great with the kids all weekend. The house was trashed when I got home (so....why did I stay up till 2:30 Friday morning cleaning?!?!) but the kids were happy and well cared for. Two out of Three aint bad! This had been exactly what I needed. I did walk out of there feeling recharged- like maybe I can do this motherhood thing and we are all in this together.

7 comments:

Bon Bon said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Nice bag! Glad you got a break!

Lauri said...

Those Time Out Conferences are such a boost sometimes! How great that you got to attend. I used to go to BYU Women's conference that they hold in the spring time. It always gave me the boost I needed. I have only attended Time Out once here in Phoenix but enjoyed spending the day with a friend (as well as 5,000 other women.)

The big question though....was the house still clean when you got home?

Kelly said...

Some of us went last year in Indy and it was amazing and exactly what I needed to recharge!! Love, Love, Love Jane Clayson- she is fantastic!
Such fun- I wondered why you weren't at church!! Missed ya!

Breezi said...

FUN! I'm so glad that you got to go! AND you saw Kristin! What a wonderful lady she is!

Hope you filled your bucket with enough spiritual uplifting for the rest of us :o)

Kristin said...

It totally did make the day, didn't it? It was SO great seeing you, Amanda. I'm honored to call you my friend, too.

The Cochran Family said...

Yah! I Love time out, so glad you enjoyed it! I'm going this weekend with my mamma and AMY! Can't wait!

Peggy said...

Hi Amanda! So nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by my blog:) I love to meet new friends -especially twin mommy friends! Your blog is beautiful and your kids are adorable!
Glad you had such a nice time at your women's conference. I am going to a women's conference too in a couple of weeks! I am SO excited. Hopefully, I will have a great post sharing my happy weekend when I return!