Something many know about me, but some do not, is that I struggle with my weight and eating issues. Ever since I started to gain weight in late high school/ early college, I have yo-yo'd up and down quite a bit. However, after having the twins, I was edging close to the highest weight I had ever been (okay, I topped it while pregnant- but that doesn't matter....I had two babies in there..) and started weight watchers. It was relatively easy- I dropped the weight quickly. I was nursing- two babies at that- and could eat quite a bit more than the average person and still lose weight. It practically fell off. I managed to lose nearly 70 pounds following weight watchers- which was about 100 pounds down from where I was at my highest weight. I knew it would get harder after I weaned the babies- and it really did- but I still managed to get down to goal weight.
Well, ever since then, it has gotten very difficult. Let's just say, I have fallen off the wagon. I have been horrified to realize that I have regained 30 pounds from goal weight. I can't believe I let it get that out of control. I have tried a few times to get "back on plan," but I would mess up within a few days and not have the resolve to keep going. So, I have gained little by little the last few months, until now I am 30 pounds over weight again. Better than 100 pounds over, but still 30 too many. I think I know what part of the problem is and why weight watchers worked when I was going to meetings- it is the accountability. Being accountable to someone besides myself seems to work- keep me motivated. When it is just me, it is easy to let myself down. So, that is the reason for this embarrassing post. I need to be accountable to someone else (at least for now) for this to be successful. I can not afford the time or the money to go back to meetings, so I will post my progress here. When I lost the weight I told myself that I would never again buy bigger clothes..... well, my clothes have gotten a lot tighter. So, if I am going to keep the promise, I have to find a way to get the weight off again, or go around naked...... I think everyone would prefer the former....
To kick things off, I thought I would mention some things I have done well this last year and a half, that probably prevented me from gaining back as quickly as I might have. Then a few things I need to improve on....
Things I have done well/healthy living:
1) Converted to drinking more water, skim milk and only diet soda.
2) Meal time portion control has gotten better. Instead of a big hamburger AND a hotdog- I pick one (most of the time.....:))
3) I rarely order fried anymore- just occasionally
4) Use only light condiments/dressings
5) Enjoy veggies a bit more than I used to.
6) Exercised some...... I am not good at exercising... I have had times when I have done well
7) Found lower fat ways to cook/bake
8) Trying to teach my kids to stay active/portion control/ healthy foods are fun- to prevent the from having the same issues... (I hope....)
Things I need to improve on:
1) Portion control on snacks... it is okay to eat a piece of Halloween candy out of my child's basket- not so many pieces I get sick....I mean, really- isn't that what I am trying to teach my kids NOT to do by limiting their access to it? Also- it is okay to have a cookie or two- not the whole plate.
2)I need to exercise regularly...even if it is just twice a week to start (I took the girls to the zoo today- that counts! 1 more for the week at least!)
3) more fruit and veggies as snacks
4) If I blow a day, it does NOT mean I have blown the whole week- I need to remember I can do better the next day and just keep going.
So, there you have it- my struggle all exposed for all to know. I think I will post progress every Friday. Note the new ticker off to the right- I will update it weekly. Wish me luck!
3 hours ago