Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Could Two Personalities be Any More Different??



Tonight we had parent-teacher conferences with both kids teachers. This was the first time I had to conference with more than one teacher at a time now that Jacob is in Kindergarten. I was in culture shock going from one room to the other. It really explained a lot.

First, we meet with Jacobs teacher. She is a little flustered trying to get everything together since we were the first parents of the day she was meeting with and all of the kids had just left. But, otherwise, she was very welcoming and friendly with lots of positive things to say. The boys just wandered calmly around the room exploring, but not getting into trouble. She was laid back and smiling and it was very pleasant. Partly because of our late start due to it being the first conference and because of our chatting, we went over by a few minutes.

Then, we walk over to Kenny's teacher. As soon as we walk in, she tells the boys to wait in the hall. She closes the door and quickly informs us that we may have to reschedule because we are past our appointment starting time and she never goes over. She sits down and has a kitchen timer set to keep us on time. While I understand the method- it would be bad to get behind when you have a lot of parents to see- it was a little stressful. She was talking quickly telling us what Kenny needed to work on (with probably a minute devoted to what he was doing well-he is doing great in math- just like his mom and dad! :)). I could hardly concentrate or think of questions to ask with that clock ticking, knowing my time was almost up. Of course, it was our fault for getting in there late- but I just couldn't believe the difference in atmosphere between the two classes. Kenny got along great with his Kindergarten and First Grade teachers, but has often told me lately he doesn't like Second Grade. I suspected anyway that his teacher just may not be a good personality match for him, plus I could definitely tell the work has been a little harder on him. I do think she is a good teacher and she isn't mean and has a lot of experience, so don't take this rant here the wrong way. But, she is much more abrasive and black and white then his other teachers have been and he just doesn't work as well with her personality. I think he has gotten more used to her and he seems to be doing better. I am sure as the year goes on it will continue to get better.

My whole point here, I guess, is just how drastically different two different teachers can be. Different personalities, different teaching styles. I knew this, from my own background in education and experiences with my own teachers, but it was just surprising I guess from a parent's perspective and to see how children relate to those different personalities and styles.
While there is obviously one I relate better to, it doesn't mean the other is wrong. What is most important is that, despite the differences, I can tell that both teachers care about each child. I was impressed at the little details BOTH teachers knew about my children from observing their personalities. In just these first couple months, both teachers have gotten to know my children and genuinely seem to know how they think and desire to help them. That is what counts the most.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

A timer? Wow, that is rigid- no wonder Kenny is having a hard time!! That is really odd for a 2nd grade teacher, don't you think? Well, at least he is doing really well, right?!

Katie said...

What a contrast. My second grade experience was very similar. Not to worry...no permanent damage done.

Autumn said...

From the sounds of it, it wasn't your fault that you were late, it was the teacher before you, wasn't it? I agree, its a good idea with good intentions, but I could see why you felt stressed and pressed for time! I can't imagine putting kids in the halls-I always loved teacher conferences b/c I got to show my classroom to my parents. Its amazing how teachers influence the whole experience of learning.

trentnjeanmorello said...

So, I know that people like to keep on time, but seriously, a timer?!?!? What teacher actually does that? I'm not a parent but I would seriously ask for the timer to be removed. I am glad that Kenny is doing well though. I only had one teacher that sounded like that and it wasn't until my 8th grade year.

Suzanne said...

Very interesting. I guess it's good our kids are exposed to different teaching environments. Hopefully it will help them build character. I can't imagine home schooling and not giving kids the opportunity to learn and grow from others. Who knows though, someday home schooling may be the best option the way schools are looking these days!

Amy said...

Oh Amanda! I love the timer!
That is so perfect - I knew before I read the blog that it HAD to be about your parent-teacher conference adventure.
Kenny - you have more than earned the best 3rd grade teacher in the world - I will pray you get that perfect fit.