Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Double Trouble

Sometimes I wonder if I was a "better mom" when Kenny was little. I feel like I was much better about doing art activities and learning games with him. Maybe some of it had to do with the fact I was also doing full time childcare. I had a background in education/ early childhood development and felt like if these parents were paying me to keep their children, I should do more then set them in front of the TV. So, pretty much daily, we had some sort of learning activity, games, or art projects. Now that the girls are here, I have not been as good about it. Not that I ignore them-I do play/sing/color with them- but I don't do activities like I did with Kenny. I think some of it is that I am not doing childcare anymore, along with the fact that life is about 10X more chaotic then it was when Kenny was a baby. Plus, there is two of them, which of course means double the mess, etc.

So, it occurred to me recently that they are nearly 2 years old and I had not yet braved finger painting with them!! My boys as well as childcare kids did this by 12 mos. at the latest. So, I finally decided to give it a try. I was smart about it- I trapped them in their high chairs, to minimize damage to the surrounding areas- and I took their shirts off. No worries about ruining clothes or messing with smocks. I gave them a piece of paper and just put a dab of paint on it. Then, I ran my finger through it to show them how, and then put their fingers in to show them they could do it too. As you can tell by the red teary eyes- they did not care for it at first....
But, after a few minutes, they realized it wasn't so bad and started to experiment...

So, I added a few colors and their artistry shined through...

And, it didn't take long until Ellie realized she had her own blank canvas attached to her own body!!

So, all in all- a success. They got to experiment with something new and I felt like a "good" stay-at-home mom....for 5 minutes at least.

These next pictures will demonstrate another development:
Not quite sure what you are looking at? Look at this one closely- maybe it will help:

Ellie (well, both girls, but Ellie is the worst...) has gained a desire to be a strip artist. Recently, I couldn't put her down for nap or bed without checking on her a few minutes later only to find her stripped of clothing and diaper. Luckily, we haven't had anything worse than a "number 1" accident, but I didn't want to wait around for the "number 2" to happen... One time, I checked on her at night after she fell asleep and her pajamas were on and zipped up, so I didn't look any closer. In the morning, I found her in her crib and dressed, but soaking wet and no diaper- diaper out side the crib. Before she had fallen asleep, she had unzipped her pjs, without taking them off, stripped the diaper, and rezipped her pjs and went to sleep! What a mess...but, thankfully, only a number 1. So, that was the last straw. I cut off all the feet in their sleepers (which was sad, I like footed sleepers on little ones!) and I now always just put them on backwards. Thankfully, it is working! Of course, now, sometimes she will be dressed for the day and playing. I leave the room, only to come back in a couple minutes later to find a naked child running around my living room..... I think I need to break out the duct tape....

Oh, the adventures continue!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

That is hilarious! My kids love to paint and I hate it- for that very reason-- the mess!! THey always have fun, though. You are such a fun mom- give yourself way more credit, okay?!!
I have had many a friend resort to the jammie idea you have- thankfully I never had that issue with any of my 3. Hope it continues to work!!

Katie said...

I have NEVER initiated finger painting. What kind of mom does that make me?

I've never had a kid do the strip thing...so far...knock on wood.

Just wait until they learn to unzip each other's clothes.

trentnjeanmorello said...

LOL! I know it might not be funny to you but seriously one day you will laugh! The things little kids do...and about the paint...way to go! Not really sure if I will even attempt that with Elizabeth unless she is outside!

Emilee said...

the girls are getting so big. i can't wait to watch and play with them and the 2 boys on friday, i'm so excited.

Stephanie said...

Sound like you are having fun! I remember doing a lot more stuff like this when I only had Brayden and Saydria...even finger painting with pudding, which is nice because they can lick a lot off. :) I rarely paint with the kids now simply because of our littlest one, he can make a sticky mess out of water and it drives me crazy!
PS...yes, that was you I tagged. :)

Natalie said...

That is so cute! My kids loved to finger paint with chocolate pudding. Very creative solution on the jammies, BTW!