Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Second Grade Camp (Through Kenny's Eyes....)

Last week, Kenny spent 2 days at second grade camp. That is one really cool thing about his school- each grade goes to a science camp. For Kindergarten, it is just one day and fifth grade is a few days- but everyone goes. I posted last spring about first grade camp (click here if you are curious) when I went with him as a chaperone. I was unable to go this time, but I still wanted some visuals of his trip. I decided to send him with a disposable camera. I got the cheapest of the cheap (only $3 and no flash!) because I was sure that:

1) the camera wouldn't make it home- it would get broken or lost.

2) if it did make it home, I would have 27 pictures of the bus trip!

I thought it a funny sign of the times with technology, that I had to teach him how to use the view finder to take a picture. He is so used to my digital camera already and he has never seen a film camera! Odd, huh? He wasn't happy that he wouldn't get to see his pictures right after taking them! So funny...

Well, surprisingly, the camera did make it home. I couldn't wait to get it developed and hear about his trip. He had an amazing time with nothing but good to say. His pictures made me laugh- and were about exactly what I was expecting of him. Here were three of the bus trip on the way there... so funny the things that catch their eye.

I can only assume it was the signs that caught his attention here.

Next, some dump trucks interested him...
And then, who could resist the giant semi passing them with a reflection of the bus in it?
Upon arriving to camp, he took a picture of a cabin...not his cabin he says, but I am sure his was just like it....

But then, the bright blue dumpster was just too tempting...

Thankfully, the weather was gorgeous when they went- sunny, cold mornings, warm afternoons. They rode horses and went fishing! How cool! He did get some great scenery pictures. Don't these pictures make you love nature? The first is of the lake where they fished (but no pictures of fishing or horseback riding...sigh....)
He also took lots of pictures of his friends. This is a good one of Mason (on the right) and another kid- I forget his name. Kenny told me, but he isn't here right now.
There were a lot of pictures like this next one. The ones taken inside (like this one) didn't turn out well since there was no flash, but I could still see a little. Alot made me laugh like this one where there were heads chopped off, or in some cases, no heads or lots of behinds!



Anyway, I am truly grateful that he is able to have that opportunity to get away in a structured, educational, but fun experience. It was hard to leave him in the hands of virtual strangers and other kids parents I don't know (but hey, those expensive back ground checks they had to get did help me feel a little better!), but he did great. It was me that it was hard for. At least I was able to get a glimpse from the stories he told and the pictures showing the world as he saw it.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I love that!! What fun for him to take pictures of things he wants to take pictures of!! You are such a cool mom!! Alex loves photography, and much of his pics would be just like these! What a fun day for him, too!

trentnjeanmorello said...

Sounds like a great experience! That is so cool that he was able to have his own camera and those pictures turned out great!

Suzanne said...

Sounds like great fun! I love letting Spencer take pictures. It's fun to see what interests them. That is great they get to do so many cool adventures out of the classroom.