Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Adventures in Grocery Shopping

While the girls were still small, I went to the grocery store a couple times with all 4 kids. The last time was such a nightmare, I swore I would not do it again for a very long time. I have since always made a point of finding a time when Aaron was home to go grocery shopping so I could do it alone. Sometimes that meant shopping at midnight- which, while not fun, was the better option.

Even shopping alone is quite an undertaking when there are 6 people, 2 cats and one dog (and a partridge in a pear tree.....) living in the house. I only shop one time every two weeks. The only exception to this is I only get enough milk for one week (still 5 gallons!) and then have to go back for more milk, but that is it. Otherwise, I only shop the one time. With that many to feed, it is almost always a two cart experience. I start out with one and go until it is overloaded and then I find a safe place in the store where I can "park it" and keep an eye on it while I get the second one and start to fill it. I then push one/pull one through check out and out to the car.

Well, this weekend was my grocery weekend and Aaron is out of town for an extended weekend. Due to other committments I wasn't able to go before he left and it seemed to long to wait for his return. I figured maybe I was brave enough to try again to take everyone since the girls and the boys were bigger. The logistics alone created a need for creativity. Since the girls need to be confined, but only one fits in a cart, I would need two carts from the beginning. But, unlike last time, (it has been that long....) I figured Kenny was old enough to push one of the carts with me leading the way and guiding his cart from the front a bit while pushing the other cart myself- Jacob walking along beside. It could work...it would have to!

Here is a list of some of the things I endured during the endless trip...

-Early on, Jacob whining because Kenny got to put something in and he didn't yet. This was really the only time I was close to losing my temper. I got in his face and said we were just starting, he would NOT whine his way through the store!

-saying NO 500 times to their request "Can we buy this.....?"

-stoping every few minutes to give the girls a cracker or stoop to pick up a dropped or thrown sippy cup

-stopping at the potties halfway through for the boys to potty and the girls to have a diaper change

-getting bumped in the back of my foot repeatedly by Kenny's cart

-Kenny whining about pushing the cart from about halfway through to the end (his cart wasn't near as full as mine, but he is only 7 I suppose, and really he didn't whine that bad considering...)

-Pulling Jacob out of the way of other people coming down the aisle as he cluelessly wondered

-the boys wanting to "help" put things on the belt at the end- throwing it all up haphazardly

-the girls reaching back and grabbing things out of the cart. We came within a split second of disaster when I saw Meghan holding up a 1 1/2 doz egg carton by the side- caught it just in time!

-looking at my coupons and looking at the items trying to compare to get the better deal while also hearing Jacob say "mom?" about every 5 seconds, Kenny looking for reassurance that he is being a good helper, the girls demanding to get down or have a cracker, or grabbing items...

-and last but not least....other customers...


-"Are they twins" (no....they are wearing matching coats and are the same age and both with me, but no, not twins.... duh....)

-"You sure have your hands full!" (thank you Captain Obvious, I was unaware!)

-Sometimes an understanding look, but othertimes a look of annoyance because I am apparently in their way or interrupting their "peaceful" shopping at Walmart. (Either wipe that look off your face or go somewhere else unless you are willing to babysit!!)

But, in the end, we survived! It took about 2 1/2 hours, but we got through it. And, despite my complaining about the kids, they did about as well as anyone could really expect. They were well behaved and didn't get into anything or fight with each other. So, we got McDonalds on the way home for lunch. Besides, I was most definitely NOT going to prepare food after all that. No wonder I was exhausted!!!!

I am NOT doing that again for a while!!

6 comments:

Lauri said...

You are really a trooper. I think I would opt for midnight alone than daylight with four in tow too.

I had worse experiences grocery shopping with only one of my children...like the time Michael threw a temper tantrum in the middle of the shopping experience and I had to drag him kicking and screaming out of the store.

Suzanne said...

Sounds like too much fun! I'll remember not to shop at Wal-Mart while you are there with your troop- kidding!! I'm sure we will miss these days. Not sure when but I hear it happens:)

Katie said...

HA! I've experienced most of this (minus the twin thing...though people do ask if mine are twins as well.) with my own kiddos. I don't do it with for kids, but three and the oldest is 4...it's pretty bad, too. I've come to shop alone unless the whole family goes. (I hate giving up my alone time at the store, but Spencer LOVES to grocery shop, so I give in on occasion.)

In a situation like that, I would have shopped only for what was necessary for the weekend until my husband got home and put the big shopping trip off a couple days.

Breezi said...

that sounds like a super fun shopping trip! I thought shopping with two kids was rough...
YOU WIN!!!

Are you sure you have twins??

Kelly said...

All I can say is YOU ARE BRAVER THAN I!! You are hilarious- and so amazing- I would've killed them all, myself- I just don't love taking even my older kids! I just want to go and get it done! Celeste has started to walk beside the cart, and that is not horrible, because if she is in the cart, she starts to want to open everything! Fun, fun.
I am going ALONE today since Dana is home- actually clipping coupons right now!

Emilee said...

if u need a babysitter ever for things like that, just ask and i can watch them at home or go with u and help out as much as I can. just ask.