Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Look Out Bob Vila!

We have had many issues with door knobs in our house, probably due to the fact that our house is about 50 years old and we started with original door knobs when we moved into the house. They all react differently depending on the time of the year and humidity levels- from sticking, to not latching, to working fine, to sticking again..... Very annoying. So, one by one, as they start sticking bad, we replace them. The recent culprit was the bathroom door. It has been sticking for a while and I had simply been putting off buying a new one- I would always forget to add it to my list and so I wouldn't remember to get one.

Well, Friday night, Jacob was "doing his business" and getting ready for a bath. The bath water was running filling the tub. The door knob had gotten locked and when I went to get something, the door shut and latched, leaving Jacob locked in there....on the potty....with the bath water running. I tried not to panic, and tried to open the door by sticking a screw driver in the middle. This usually works, but not this time since it was sticking so bad. So, I told Jacob he needed to get up and turn off the water. He panicked and started crying saying he didn't know how (he has tried before and has had trouble, so he didn't want to do it at all....). So, I was on the other side of the door, trying fruitlessly to get in while the water continued to run, trying to calm him down and explain how to turn off the water. A few seconds later, I heard the water turn off. Yay Jacob!!!! He did it!

So now, I am still trying to get in there. I figure if I unscrew the door knob, it would all just fall apart and the door would open. Nope- the part that latches in the middle is still in tact. I had the outside door knob in my hand, the inside door knob is on the floor on Jacob's side- but the latch part still attached. Not my brightest moment. Now what? I call my husband who is in Michigan for an extended weekend. (As you can tell from my previous post, it was an interesting weekend...) He explains how Jacob will need to use his side of the door knob- stick it back in and try to turn it. I now have to try to explain this through a door to a 5 year old. He did it!! The door opened. Jacob was the hero of the night! I was very proud of him!

When we went shopping on Saturday (see the previous post....), I bought a new door knob. I decided to try to put it on myself because...1) I was tired of the girls being able to get into the bathroom, since the door wouldn't shut and 2) maybe to prove I could do it, even though it is something I definitely would have left to Aaron had he been home. I just didn't want to wait until Monday for it to be done. Check it out!!
Are you proud? I was!! Although, even after all that, it still wouldn't latch!!! Because our stupid house is old and nothing new works right away like it was supposed to. I had no idea how to make it work, so I still had to wait for Aaron to get home Monday to have a door that would shut (and therefore keep the toddlers OUT!) so he could fix it. Very annoying. But, he even said I did everything right, it is just our house. He got it working though! When I was putting it in Saturday night, I did have some help:

Thanks for your help, Meghan! Look out, Bob Vila.... you've got some competition!!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Like you, I just want the old things fixed and replaced! I often do it myself, too. Love that Jacob was a hero and Meghan is such a great helper!!

Breezi said...

You are the home-depot hero of the day!

Good job staying calm when that emergency happened! You did soo much better than I would have ever done!

Lauri said...

Impressive!!!!!