Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

No Longer Babies

Today was a big day for Ellen & Meghan. We went from this:
To this:
Yes, we have made the transition to toddler beds. We have been planning on doing this for a while since the girls first climbed out of their cribs a couple months ago. I knew it was time, but surprisingly, they rarely climbed out of their cribs so I kept putting it off. Then, a couple weeks ago, we bought that adorable toddler bedding as part of their birthday present. The only thing that would make it cuter is if the beds were wood color, but we got them super cheap from another twin mom, and I just couldn't pass up the deal. Still adorable though- and I LOVE the bedding- so perfect for their room!

Aaron suggested we take down the cribs last week, but I panicked and just couldn't do it. Of course, part of it was the fear of the girls no longer being contained. But, it also occurred to me that the crib Ellie sleeps in (the one on the left above) had not moved from that room for 8 years!! We set it up when we were expecting Kenny and it has just stayed assembled in their room since then. It was just kind of sad-like the end of an era. But, again tonight, Aaron was motivated and wanted to get it done. He wasn't going to let me put it off again. So, the disassembly began.

The girls even peeked their head in to say good-bye to their cribs. This is an attempt at a picture of Meghan when she was actually saying "bye-bye bed" and waving.
They were sooooooo excited when they saw their new beds and so much fun jumping/climbing on them and just checking them out:




So, I was hopeful that all would go well when it actually came time to go to bed. I got their pajamas on, brushed their teeth and tried to read them a story, but they were just too excited about their new beds to let me read more than a page. So, I had them climb into bed and went to cover them and say good-night and they FREAKED OUT!!! They got upset, started crying, saying "no bed" and climbing out.

Okay, not going to be so easy.... they didn't think it was quite as much fun when it became real.

So, I turned out the light, put them in their bed again and sat in the rocking chair between the beds and pulled their beds close so I could reach them. I sat there and stroked their head and/or backs until they calmed down and eventually....finally...fell asleep. My original thought was to take a picture in their pajamas when I first tucked them in, but they were so upset that wasn't going to happen. But, I just couldn't resist a picture of my sleeping beauties.
Good night, Ellie!


Good night, Meghan!

Wish us luck tomorrow....


7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Good times! That is a big step for a mom and the kids. I've always had mixed emotions transitioning my kids from crib to bed. I think Olivia will stay in her crib for a really long time!! I hope the nights get easier and good luck with the naps.

Kelly said...

Those beds are adorable!! I love the bedding too! They are such big girls now- it is hard to believe they don't need cribs anymore! They will be fine- they have each other and that is probably very helpful! Can't wait to hear more!

Breezi said...

That bedding is adorable. So are the girls! We are still looking forward to the day of transitioning Maggie into a big girl bed. (my father in law is making bunk-beds for the kids... can't wait until it's done!... hopefully soon!)

Congrats on the end of an era

Katie said...

That is HUGE! THe transition is always scary and exciting. It tends to be bad for a month or so and just when you think the trouble is never going to end and you want to give up, something clicks and they'll be ready to stay in bed on their own. (Then again, I've never done two at once.)

The room looks great. THe bedding really is perfect.

So are the girls...their outfits are adorable. I can never get over how cute they are.

Autumn said...

aH. At first your post motivated me. Then it made me nervous. I am SO nervous about forever saying goodbye to naps!!!! I really hope tomorrow goes well for you.


The bedding is great. I love how you can see more pink on the walls!

Lauri said...

Making the transition from crib ot bed is difficult but I can only imagine TWICE the trouble with two. Who knows, maybe they'll talk each other through it and it won't be too traumatic.

Mom Janet said...

Ellie and Meghan are just adorable in their big girl beds. It had to be a real experience to NOT have a crib in that room - it looks so different but really is pretty and so much like the girls. Love how you handled settling them down to get to sleep - a natural mom if there ever was one. Don't be surprised if you find them sharing beds some time soon though, just curled up together in one or the other. Love all the pictures that you shared of the family - I feel like I am there with you and can even hear the excitement and the squeals. Looking at how Meghan sits flat on the floor with her legs bent - that is exactly how I used to sit on the floor. So she has inherited Grandma Janets flexible knees. Sometimes her pictures remind me of Sarah when she was that age. Ellie reminds me more of you and your sisters. Stay warm up there - it is cold here in Florida too. Only 21 this morning when I got up (BRRRRR). Love you, Mom K.