Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Two Years Ago Today.....

....two beautiful little babies came into the world. Ellen (right) and Meghan (left) were born Thursday, January 4th, 2007. (The above picture is my favorite newborn picture of the two of them!!!) Ellen was born at 5:36 pm and weighed 7 lbs 8 oz. Meghan was born at 5:46 pm and weighed 7 lbs 4 oz. As far as twin pregnancies go, it could not have been healthier or had a smoother delivery. I actually went to 38 weeks and 2 days and then had to be induced- or who knows how long it would have been. The only hard part was the last few weeks of the pregnancy because I simply couldn't walk without incredible pain- understandable with 15 pounds of baby in there! I had not been able to sleep in my own bed the last few weeks because it just hurt to bad to get in bed. And, if I managed to get in, I couldn't move once I got there. So, I slept the last few weeks in a recliner.

Those who knew me then- knew I was a nervous wreck the entire pregnancy. It followed a painful miscarriage, and this pregnancy held some of the same patterns early on. Especially once I found out there was two, my fear doubled. Despite two reassuring priesthood blessings and several ultrasounds confirming all was well, I still could not get over the fear that something would happen to one or both of them. My doctor even commented later that, even after Ellen had been born and was healthy and strong, she could still see the fear in my eyes as I waited for Meghan. I knew I could not relax until I held them both in my arms. Here is that moment-
Not a flattering picture of me, but hey, I just delivered two babies! If you would have told me 3 years ago, that in a year, I would have twins, I might have run screaming. Okay, maybe not- but I would have said you were nuts. I never thought I wanted twins-and though I sometimes feel like chaos reigns around here, I couldn't imagine life without either one of them. This is how it was meant to be. A while back, I did a post about what it is like to have twins. If you missed it, feel free to click here and read about it. It was a fun post with lost of pictures of them.

I can't believe that my babies are TWO!!!!!! They are hardly babies anymore. Here they are today:
They had a wonderful birthday today! My wonderful sister, Julie- and her husband Jorge, opened their house for us today, since our house is just too small. Thanks, guys!!

We had a small gathering at their house with our siblings and parents (but even that is way too many for our house!) Her friend, Cheryl, brought over this awesome bouncy house that she had bought for her son, so that the kids at the party could enjoy it. Kenny was bummed though- he was the only kid that was above the limit and too big for it. Thank you, Cheryl- it was awesome!!

We had a yummy dinner and awesome cupcakes! I have made it a point to sing "Happy Birthday" to each girl. As silly as it sounds, I figure if they have to share a birthday, at least they can get their own song. I think I got the idea from "Jon & Kate plus 8" (could you imagine singing it 6 times?!?!)

And, of course- they got some awesome presents! Like these shopping carts- since they love to "shop"- they pushed these around the rest of the evening, with their new dolls from Grandpa Chuck and Grandma Debbie!


Of course, the were way more interested in the packaging at first then the presents inside- and Ellie took one present into the bounce house to open it! (see above) Even so, they lost interest about halfway through to play with what they had already opened and I had to open the rest! Toddlers are so fun!

I am so grateful for all 4 of my babies. I can't imagine our lives without any one of them- they each add so much to our family.

Happy Birthday, Ellen & Meghan!!! We Love you so much!!!!

5 comments:

Sara Emily said...

Amanda, the party was great! Thank you so much for involving me and Joey. I think Joey liked those shopping carts as much as the twins did! Ugh - I WAY over ate there though!!!!

Happy birthday my beautiful neices, Nut-meg and Ellie-bean!

Kelly said...

I honestly cannot believe it has been 2 years!! When you told me that yesterday, I thought, No way! But time flies when you are having fun, right?! I remember seeing them and you for the first time in the hospital and I was amazed at it all! They are sweet little, though getting to be big girls- tell them we said Happy Big Girl birthday!!

Katie said...

I absolutely adore the picture of them holding hands in their adorable plaid dresses and tights. Man they're cute. And so old.

Lauri said...

So are the first two years the hardest? Is it smooth sailing from here? What fun adventures are in store for you!

Did you hear about the twins born on New Years Eve and 20 minutes later...New Years Day? They have different birthdays and were born in different years. Crazy, huh?

Autumn said...

Before I had even read what you wrote I told myself if I had just had twins I'd love to look like that. What an amazing pregnancy and delivery you had. I cannot get over the big healthy babies you delivered naturally! Awesome! Happy birthday girlies!