Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

57 Years in the Making....


Wednesday February 4th, my dad turned 57. I am a little slow in posting for two reasons so I am hoping he will forgive me. First, I was really sick on his birthday. (Note my lack of blogging lately...) Second, due to illnesses and other reasons, we only just finally celebrated his birthday today.

On his birthday, he was very excited when he exclaimed "I'm a ketchup bottle now!" This is more appropriate and hilarious than anyone knows. I truly believe that my dad does not have blood running through his veins, but Heinz (his favorite brand) ketchup instead. Seriously. He is the only person I know whose Thanksgiving dinner is ruined if there is no ketchup. When he gets down to less than 10 bottles in his food storage, he fears he is critically low on ketchup. When Kroger has a sale going, he will buy dozens of bottles at a time. He is the only person I know who will eat a slice of tomato with ketchup on it! He eats taco salads with ketchup- not salsa. He puts ketchup on his hamburger and then dips the whole thing in ketchup. Spaghetti? Covered in ketchup- even with spaghetti sauce on it. A favorite snack? Bread and butter..... with ketchup.

So, Dad, congratulations on officially being a bottle of ketchup!

His biggest wish for his birthday was to have all 8 of his grandkids together in a picture with him. It is so nice that we all live close together and were able to grant this wish.
From left "ish" to right "ish: Kaylee, Joey, Meghan, Jacob, Kristin, Dad, Savanna, Kenny, Ellie.
This has become a tradition at birthdays. My boys like to help put the candles in the cake. They don't like to fit the usual format for candles on the cake. This is Kenny and Jacobs' way of putting candles on his cake. (notice the ones sticking out of the side....). He is holding Joey, my sister Emily's son.

I had to include this one because it is so funny. Ellie is learning to be melodramatic. She was asking Grandpa for a drink of pop. (Notice the Diet Coke sitting there...) But Grandpa told her no (which isn't easy for him....I think it was more me saying no....) and gave her the pink sippy cup with milk in it. She didn't throw a fit or scream or cry, just put her hands over her eyes and dropped her head. Note the guilty look on my dads face- as if he did something wrong by telling her no- and note my mom cracking up in the background. Sooooo funny!

This one was taken back in September and it demonstrates so many things about my dad. First, he is a musician. He is an AMAZING guitar player. I grew up listening to him play and I still love it when he pulls it out. He is now passing the fun onto our kids. He loves to play for them and lets them "help" him play (notice Meghan above). You can also see how he lives for his grandkids. He is an AMAZING grandfather and father.

Dad- We love you and are so grateful for you. You always work so hard for us and are always giving so much of yourself, even though you struggle with health issues and don't feel well often. You rarely let it stop you, though you should let it more often. You always put us first. I have also always been grateful for how much you love mom. I think it is incredible that you obviously love her more now then you did when you met her 39 years ago. That means so much to me. The kids adore you and we are lucky to have you in our lives!

Happy (Belated...) Birthday Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Buck is such a wonderful man. You can really see how much he loves all children when he is around. Even those not truely related to him. Tell Buck Hayy Belated B-Day fromt he Gregory's.

Amy said...

Amanda, you are the luckiest girl in the world. Your dad is the nicest man I've ever met. His love of life and children just shines through him.
Congrats to your dad for OFFICIALLY BECOMING A KETCHUP BOTTLE! I am very thankful that I have seen firsthand his true love of ketchup AND his grandkids.
And and you too.
Now I see what makes you so special.

Kelly said...

Such a great dad!! What a wonderful 57th birthday he had!! I can see so much of him in you- both so very special!

Katie said...

Ketchup! Ha! That's a good one.

Maya said...

Happy birthday, Buck! :-)