Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Reality Check

This is one of those stories that just must be recorded.

After taking the boys to school, I had to make a quick stop at the post office. I only needed to mail something and get a book of stamps. The girls were with me and, to be honest, running errands with two toddlers is just no fun. I know most would agree with me on that one. So, at the post office, I figured that if the line was short, I would leave the girls in the locked car and just run in really quick. Seriously, my errand would take less time then it would take just to get the stroller out of the car. And, I don't care what anyone says- it is not really hot or really cold outside and the girls would be perfectly safe in a locked car for two minutes. So, I peek in the post office and of course, the line is long- long enough that I know I shouldn't leave the girls in the car that long. Sigh...

I went out to the car, got the stroller out, loaded the girls and went into the post office. While in line, the girls were taking off their shoes and throwing them and trying to climb out of the stroller. When we went back out the car, I was definitely frustrated. My 2 minute errand had turned into a 20 minute errand. I was loading the girls and grumbling to myself about the long line, the girls causing havoc, the fact I was tired, etc. Then, as I was strapping Ellie into her car seat, she said "hug?" So I gave her a hug and she wrapped her arms around my neck and said "I yuvs you!" (I love you!)

What was I complaining about? It suddenly didn't matter anymore- it was worth it!

5 comments:

Autumn said...

Oh!!! Melt your heart! I am SO with you, and I only have ONE toddler. I HATE doing short errands with Ellie. All I can think about is-if I could just wait until Jake came home it would be sooo much easier. And the PO is a common one for me. I have to say I'm totally relieved to hear that you've done that!! For several months I was selling books for my parents and was going to the PO almost daily. I could drop the books off-not even talk to anyone-just set on the counter-and every time I left Ellie in the car I felt terrible...but I did it anyway. I figured it was less than 30 seconds and I could return to the car before someone fell from the sky to get her. I think I have gotten over the guilt for the PO drop offs. That's too cute that she asked for a hug!

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet! I hate waiting in PO lines, even without toddlers so now I always order stamps from usps.com and have them shipped directly to my door (shipping is only $1). Hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day! :)
~Jackie

Lauri said...

I had a friend years ago who sent her 6 year old son in to the bank with a deposit. He just had to hand it to the customer service rep right inside the door while she waited in the car with her younger ones. He didn't come out and didn't come out. When she went inside, he was locked in because there was a hold up going on inside the bank. It was several hours before she was able to get to him.

I always thought about that when I was tempted to leave my kiddos in the car. ( I have to admit that I did leave them a few times prior to that though.)

Amy said...

THANK YOU AMANDA!
If the facility I have to visit doesn't have a drive thru I really stop and re-evaluate the need to do business with my ornery TWIN toddlers in tow. (and I have to add no longer rides in a stroller)
It's nice to know that I'm not the only MOM who has left their kiddos strapped in their car seat in a locked car for 3.5 seconds.
We DO use our good judgement.

Abbey said...

I think that ending to your story is Heavenly Fathers way of reminding us how lucky we are to have those sweet ones even when they are making us crazy. by the way I was always left in the car but that was way back when in a small town. If you ever have errands that you need to get done without the chaos call me I am usually always home.