Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Traumatized, but Healthy...

Today was Ellen & Meghan's two year checkup. Oh my, what an event! You thought taking one child for a check up was tough? Ha!

Before, with their checkups, I usually recruited someone to go with me- either my mom or my sister. This time, I had not yet asked anyone because I was thinking now that they were two and could walk, maybe I didn't need help. But, as the date approached, I was getting nervous, knowing that Meghan saw a doctor's office on TV and got upset and she is very leary of strangers right now. Plus, I didn't know what kind of procedure or shot they may need and I realized I couldn't do it on my own. So, last minute I asked my mom if she would go with me. Thank God, she was available. I could NOT have done have done it without her!! Thanks, Mom!!!!!

Here are their stats first, for those who are interested:

Ellen: 33 lbs 8 0z. 38 in. tall (95th percentile)
Meghan: 30 lbs. (75th %) 37 in. tall (95th %)

As soon as we walked into the exam room, Meghan started to cry. The nurse came in and mom and I started undressing the girls. Meghan didn't even want to lay on the table for me to change her diaper with the nurse in the room. Neither one wanted to sit on the scale and they both screamed like crazy when she tried to measure their head circumference and their length. (They kicked and squirmed so bad, the length above is approximate!!!) She had to prick their big toe to get a sample to test for lead (will get that result in a few days) and iron (normal for both girls!) and you would of thought she cut their toe off! They kicked and screamed so bad! And, Meghan was just as upset when she was done and put a band-aid on it afterward. Meghan does not like "gickers" (stickers- her word for band-aids...) and did not like this nurse putting one on her toe!

Jacob is home sick from school today- he had a fever all weekend but is much better today. So, he was with us at the doctors. While we were waiting for the doctor, he coughed and it made him gag and he threw up on himself, Mom's shoe and the floor. So, I go to work cleaning that up and finished just as the doctor came in.

So, the doctor came in and did his exam with both girls screaming the entire time. Don't know if he still has any hearing after listening to their lungs through screams..... But, everything is good. We do have to watch Ellie for Asthma as she has been showing some signs and we have strong family history of it. But, it is too early to test now and we do have an inhaler that seems to help when she wheezes. Just something to watch. Then he said they needed one shot each. Great...

So, he leaves and when the nurse comes in, it is different then the first nurse-usually it is the same! I think the first one had decided she had enough! So, then it was a shot for each and yet another "gicker."

Anyway, it is over and we all survived it. Both girls are strong, big and healthy. With all that chaos, I would have cried if I had attempted that on my own. But, thanks to my mom's help I was able to laugh through most of it. I am very grateful and blessed to have 4 kids that have all been so healthy and well!!

Weekly Fitness Report
Also, I don't have much to say here, so I didn't feel like doing a whole separate post. Really, it was a very blah week just like it is a blah season. Blah..blah..blah.... Anyway, I had some up and down moments and ultimately didn't stick to points as well as I should/could have, but there were good moments too- like the 3 workouts I did!! And, even though I went over my points, there were times when I stayed within my limit because I did well and planned ahead and ate and snacked well. So, it wasn't a perfect week, but not horrible either because their was lots of good moments and good exercise. No weight loss, but not a gain either- maintenance is good!

4 comments:

Mom Janet said...

Mandersssss - I don't know if you are a saint or just a little crazy - what an ordeal and add to that chaos a sick child - WHEWWWW. It really was a good thing that your mom went along - and now that everyone at the doctor's office is completely deaf from the crying and screaming. At least we know that their lungs are good (HA). I just bet that Jacob thought that he was going to get a shot too - poor kid. He will be ready to go back to school after that ordeal. Bob was laughing so hard that he about cried himself with your descriptions of what all went on. I am glad that you and your mom survived that "little trip".

Amy A said...

Okay, Amanda B! I knew when I saw your email telling me to see your blog for the 2 year check up status - that it was a VERY interesting visit. Never in a million years would I have guessed you could have that much fun in a doctor's office. ;-0 OH yeah, sike! That sounds alot like an event I went through about 1 year ago. WISH me luck in April for the 3 year. :)
Your mom is a saint and a SUPER grandma taking it all in stride and with grace. Now I see where you get your grace and sainthood from. Just good genes.
Poor Jacob - what an eventful morning for him. He will be the first one up and ready for school on Tuesday!
Ah the stories you have to share with your kiddos when they are older. See, character building that's what it's all about.
Yes, since it wasn't me - I laughed the whole way through your story. Sorry - I had to admit it though. Just too funny!

Busy Mom said...

That is a great story! I can't imagine, but unfortunately, I have been in that nurse's shoes before. Her ears were probably ringing!
That is so funny that they don't like gickers! Usually little ones want one for any little ouchy.

Abbey said...

I feel for you I took Annie for her 9 months and I swear she remebers that table because every time they laid her on it she would scream. It never bothered Rossi so looks like I have a lot to look forward to. We too have been wanting to go to the waterpark. It looks like so much fun. We are some of those "someday" parents too. Glad you had fun.