Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Wow...Whatta Week!

Last week is definitely a week I am happy to say Good-bye and Good Riddance too!

Last Saturday, a week ago, Jacob woke up with a high fever and I woke with a slight sore throat.
Jacob's fever lasted a couple days so I kept him home from school Monday, but his fever seemed gone by then, so I sent him to school Tuesday. My throat still hurts all this time and on Tuesday, I start to feel chilled and achy, but I didn't have a fever when I checked it.

Tuesday afternoon, I get in the van and head to pick up the boys from school. The van feels just a little off to me and there are a couple odd lights on the dashboard. I get in the left turn lane to turn onto the road their school is on and I stop for a red light- the first in line. I put the van in park and turned it off intending to turn it back on in hopes the restart would solve the problem. The car started fine, though the lights were still there, but my car will NOT get out of park. The light turns green, cars behind me, I am STUCK!!! I call Aaron on my phone and he heads out to come help me. I had put on my 4 ways and after a couple light cycles, the people behind me get the hint and head around me. I call the school letting them know I am trying to get there and then I call AAA and wait on hold. Then, a cop pulls up behind me- but didn't immediately notice I was stuck so I waved him up to me. He comes up and gets in the car (the girls FREAKED!) and got the car into drive- somehow. I think it was divine intervention because later, we couldn't get it out of park again... So, anyway, I got the boys, but never took the car out of drive (just used the e-brake) and waited for Aaron to get there since he was coming. He drove the van home and I drove his car home. Ellie freaked the whole way- I think she thought he just left me there! So, Aaron didn't make it to school that night because he was trying to figure out the problem. It basically turned out to be a fuse blown due to water built up (from ice,snow,etc.) in a rear brake light. Fun. Thankfully, a cheap easy fix.

But, by Tuesday evening, Jacob's fever was back full force and I had a low one. By Wednesday morning, my fever was over 101 so Jacob stayed home from school and Aaron stayed home to help me. I had a fever of 104 by that evening!!! This went on the rest of the week, though Jacob was better by Friday so he went back to school. I went to the doctor on Friday who's professional diagnoses was "gunk in my throat" with swollen glands and all, so I got an antibiotic. (Aaron had taken Jacob to the doctor-I was too sick- and Jacob's stayed viral). I had not been that sick in probably 15 years. I honestly had not been to a doctor, aside from pregnancy reasons, in over 10 years. I am generally very healthy and just don't get real sick. This has been a tough winter for some odd reason.

By Friday afternoon, both girls were running a fever and have been since then. It did seem down this evening, so I am hopeful they are getting better. Aaron hasn't been feeling well either, though thankfully, it has been mild in him. In the midst of all this, Kenny had a big project due for the "Invention Convention" at school (more on this in a day or two...). Despite feeling crummy, I had to suck it up and help him get his project to school by Friday.

I believe it was "The flu"- the real "influenza" that we are supposed to be immunized for each year. I believe this for two reasons. 1) It showed all signs of influenza- high fever, chills, aches, sore throat, exhaustion, dry cough, etc, etc, etc. 2) Kenny was the only one who didn't get it and he is the only one who got a flu shot. He got a cough, but that is all- never any fevers or anything else. When I took him for his check up in the fall, they offered it, so I went ahead and did it. I intended all winter to take the other kids in, but kept putting it off (you will understand why if you read the previous post...). That is what I get.

So, anyway, it has been a tough week with several interrupted appointments and obligations. But, we are on the way up and feeling better. A huge shout out to my mom for the yummy TWO pots of soup she brought that we have lived on the last few days!! THANK YOU!! For the first time ever I look forward to cleaning the house to get rid of this bug!! I wish I could just pick up my house and dip in a sterilizing bucket- but it isn't that simple.

Weekly Fitness Report:
Yah- not much to report here. Once I got sick I gave up counting points just because I didn't have much appetite anyway. I would get hungry at times, but then it was about what made me feel good- not necessarily what was healthy. Like a hot chocolate to soothe my sore throat and the fever chills. And, of course- I didn't exercise once. Who would with a high fever?!?! But, I did loose 1 pound!!!! Maybe it would have been more if I hadn't gone for comfort foods when I was hungry, but that's just the way it was. I will take my one pound and be happy!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I so hope this week is not like last week!! I am glad you are on the recovery road!! I am so thankful for your lesson yesterday- you bring such a special spirit to the room and you touch so many. I appreciate all you put into your lesson- I am just so happy you are in Relief Society!! Thanks for all you do!

Katie said...

UGGG! I've only been sick like that once since I've been a grown-up. It's way worse as an adult.

Gray is the only one at our house with a flu shot...for the same reasons. I keep meaning to get the others vaccinated. It's quite an epidemic this year. People have died from the flu out here. And one school even shut down for like 3 days. Like 200+ students and faculty had it so they closed the school and sent people in to disinfect. CARAZY!

I hope this week's on the up and up.

Suzanne said...

What a week! The car thing would have freaked me out. I do not like to be stranded with a broken down car. I hope you are all feeling better and healthy this week!

Sara Emily said...

I really felt awful for you last week! I'm so sorry you weren't feeling well and everything went all to heck!! I am looking forward to coming over Friday so you can get some time AWAY! :-)

Busy Mom said...

So sorry you guys were sick last week. I think the flu hit here too. I am the only one who didn't get it but I also got the flu shot. Glad you guys are on the mend. You can always call me you know, if you need something.

Autumn said...

So glad you guys are feeling better!!