Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

He obviously still has a mission here on Earth....

On Saturday, Aaron went to a friends house for a get-together with his VW buddies. They worked on each others cars all day. Aaron has developed quite a talent for working on cars and frequently helps others to fix their cars. Saturday was no different- he spent the whole day at the gathering working on different peoples cars. He didn't get home until about 1 am. The next morning, he was acting a little funny and I asked what was wrong. He then went on to tell me a story that I just could not believe.

He was underneath a VW Jetta that was up on ramps checking on something. While he was under the car, he asked the car's owner to get in and start the car. It had been someone else that put the car on the ramps and that person left the car in reverse (It was a standard shift....) . The owner did not know this and did not check the shifter. He started the car and then let go of the clutch. The car squealed backward and the ramps shot out in front of the car- DROPPING THE CAR ON AARON'S CHEST!!!!! He was pinned under the oil pan.

Luckily, there were 15 guys right there who saw it happen and they rushed over and literally just picked the car up off of him and he scooted out. One of the guys attending the gathering also happens to be a paramedic and did a full check over of him and determined there were no broken ribs. His chest is sore and the paramedic says he may have cracked his sternum, which is mostly cartiledge and that if he went to the hospital, they would probably just take an x-ray and tell him to come back if it got worse.

So, thankfully, he seems to be okay. His chest is still sore and it is forming a big bruise, but he is okay. I was so mad that he didn't tell me until Sunday morning. He said he didn't want to worry me needlessly. Hello?!?! He could have so easily been killed..... And, he had to fly to Texas on Monday for work and doesn't get home until Wednesday night (say hi to him Katie! :)) I was worried about him going, but so far he is still okay- just sore.

Aaron and I have been married 10 1/2 years now. This is his second brush with death. Most people know that 5 years ago, he was in a bad car accident but walked away from it seeming fine. Then, a few weeks later, he had a pain in his thigh that wouldn't go away and just kept getting worse. We had no clue that it would be a blood clot until he passed out at work because the clot had broken loose and gone to his lungs- a pulmonary embolism at the age of 26! We have known more than one person who died of the very same thing.

I told him these brushes with death have got to stop. I need him here. I am so thankful that he is okay. That God was watching out for him and that the guys were able to get the car off of him. I have not been able to stop thinking about it since-

Apparently, his mission on Earth isn't done because God continues to keep him safe. Thank you, God! I really need and love him!!!

7 comments:

Autumn said...

OH MY WORD! That is freaky. I'm so glad he's okay-and that there were others around! Good grief that's scary!!!

The Koenig Family said...

Wow Amanda!!! I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it. I'm so sorry to hear of his mishaps, but very grateful he is here with you and your sweet family. May God continue to watch over and protect all of you! Love ya!

Katie said...

That is nuts! SO SCARY. I can't even believe how lucky he was. I can only imagine how much worse that could have been.

It's a shame he chose this week to visit Texas. We're in Arizona.

Kelly said...

SO glad he is okay!! I saw him on Sunday- never would've known!! What an amazing thing to survive- again!! He better stop it- that is too much to take again and again!!

Busy Mom said...

Wow, you brought tears to my eyes! How scary! I wouldn't be able to think of anything else either. I am glad he is OK.

Sara Emily said...

Isn't it funny how sometimes these brushes with death just make us want to KILL our husbands? ha ha - I'm so happy he's OK! The dork....

Mom Janet said...

My HEART just hit my throat - again. He did not mention anything when I talked with him on Thursday. Just told me about the trip to Texas for work. Give him a big smack on his head and then a huge great big HUG from me. God is really GREAT all the time - and especially working overtime with Aaron. All my love and kisses, Mom.