Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It is no wonder why......


kids hate going the doctor (and parents dread taking them!!!!)

Meghan had been sick for a few days. Nothing severe- just a fever and grumpiness and lack of appetite. I wasn't too concerned. Sunday, it seemed better- the fever was gone, but we still kept her home from church just in case. Monday morning, she woke up and was pale as a ghost and her fever was 102.9. I decided it was probably worth a trip to the doctor to be sure it was just a virus. I was pretty sure that was all it was, but thought I should make sure. I usually do wait several days with a fever before going to the doctor- I am not one to panic and call the doctor the first day of a fever. But, after several days, I figure it should probably be checked out just to be sure it isn't anything major or anything needing antibiotics.

When we got there, Meghan started crying just walking into the room. She associates the doctor's office with shots and "gickers" (stickers- her word for band-aids, which she hates- I have mentioned this before....) I figure this will be a good opportunity to have a good experience with the doctor, since it would just be a basic exam.

The doctor started the exam, listening to her lungs, looking in her ears, etc. Her left ear was very full of wax so he couldn't see if it was infected. He used his little tool to clean some of it out. Couldn't reach it all. Meghan is NOT happy. He thinks a nurse should come in and "irrigate it." I thought about telling him to just forget it because she (and most of my kids...) have never had an ear infection so I was sure that wasn't it. But, I figure the one time I say that, she would probably have one and I figured she should probably have the wax cleaned out.

So, he brings in a nurse to put some drops in it. Then, she had to squirt water in it several times to try to get out the wax. After 1/2 dozen squirts or more, she wasn't really seeing anything come out. Meghan was kicking and screaming and so upset. The nurse, trying to calm her and not knowing, says "Would you like to get some stickers?" Meghan, thinking shots and band-aids screams harder-"No gickers!!!" . So much for a simple visit. But, Meghan was happy though when the nurse brought in Dora stickers and not band-aids. She thought that was cool. So, the doctor came back in and looked and said they had gotten some, but there was still some in there, so he starts picking with his tool again. It took a few minutes since she was fighting back so bad. She was on my lap, so the doctor was examining her there. It was just uncomfortable to have this doctor sitting so close so long in my personal space. When you can smell the soap on his hands-it is too close. Not that he could help it- it wasn't his fault. Just not fun. He finally cleared the ear and said "Her ears look great-no infection there!" Ya....I could've told you that!

Then, he wanted to do a strep test since her throat was a little red. So, after all that, he had to shove a swab down her throat- causing more screams. The test was negative- no strep.

The diagnosis?

A virus.....

I think I will be a little slower to go the doctor next time. At least she can probably hear better.

6 comments:

Katie said...

My kids don't hate it that bad...they actually look forward to Dr. appointments for the most part. But I feel the same about taking kids (or even worse...myself) in to the Dr. when they're sick. It is very, very, very rarely worth it. My kids don't get ear infections, either. Though I have had my ear clogged with wax like that one time before. It's miserable. You can't hear and it throws your balance off. That alone is enough to make her miserable. Do you like the kids new doc?

Sara Emily said...

isn't that always they way it goes? Next time when you DO wait longer, it will be somethin serious! Murphy's law of children...

Breezi said...

Alli hated bandaids with a passion as well. She would gladly take a shot, but she would inform the nurse 'no band aids please'. Funny kids.


Glad that Meghan didn't have an ear infection. With my kids it's always an ear infection. Always. Even if we go in for a well visit.

Kristin said...

Live and learn, huh I hope Meghan remembers all you did for her when she's taking YOU to the old person doctot a little ways down the road, and whining that you don't want any shots. (Rhedd calls shots "Scratches".

Kelly said...

Poor Meghan- having your ears irrigated is awful!! I have had it done, and I remember every second of it!! I was an adult too! Glad she is not terribly ill- and glad that is over!!

Lauri said...

Moms ALWAYS know best!