Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

3 Day Potty Training: Day 1: I'm Exhausted....

So, today was day one of Lora Jensen's 3 Day Potty Training Method. For a more complete description, read the previous post.

Overall, it has gone better than expected! The girls are doing really well with it so far. Here are some of the events/ my thoughts of the day:

-we went through 13 pairs of Dora panties (fewer than I expected, really)
-used 1 entire roll of paper towels in clean up
-I took advantage of our hard wood floors and removed the rug from the living room and the bathroom. Verrrrrry smart....
-Our couch only got peed on once!
-Only two poops in the panties! Meghan made it once in the potty! Yay!!!!!!!
-By late morning, the would tell me when they had to go. Sometimes they would produce something, other times not.
-Several times, they started going in their panties but I was able to get them to the potty to finish going.
-Meghan was initially more willing to go the potty. Ellie seems to have a stronger bladder and is able to hold it longer.
-They did a great job of drinking lots of extra fluids
-I did put a pull-up on at nap time (we "threw away" ALL diapers). I called the pull-ups their "bed-time panties" and encouraged them to keep them dry just like their Dora panties. They stayed dry during nap! But, they were mad at first when I took off the "bed-time panties" and put Dora panties back on. They got over it though- I think part of it was that they weren't ready to wake up from nap yet- it was a short nap.
-I think I have run a mile, going back and forth to the potty with them today.

So, I consider the day a success and am hopeful tomorrow will go even better. I am so proud of them and the progress they made throughout the day. I didn't expect it to begin to "click" this quickly. Hopefully the next couple days will go as well. It is very exhausting though. You really do have to stay on them to watch for signs that they are going/about to go. Part of the key is catching them in the act. I really didn't have time to divert my attention from them long enough to do anything significant. I did no housework until they were napping(though the temptation to nap with them was strong!) I pretty much just sat on the floor and played with them. It was when my attention was diverted (such as making lunch) that they were likely to have an accident. But, even during the most chaotic part of the day- Aaron wasn't home yet, the kids were doing homework and I was trying to start dinner- they came to me and said they had to go potty and they did!

The constant attention to them and running back and forth to the bathroom and cleaning up messes has worn me out. I am exhausted. I will sleep well tonight!

3 comments:

Sara Emily said...

I'm glad it went well! I know it's exhausting for now... but just think... it'll be worth it. Before you know it no more diapers!! YAY

Kelly said...

Yeah!! Some success!! I am so proud of them, and YOU!!

Suzanne said...

That is encouraging! Only 2 more days to go:)