Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, April 24, 2009

3 Day Potty Training: Day 2: Progress and Boredom

Sure enough, today went even better! (For all those who are just tuning in, we started potty training the girls using the "3 day potty training method" yesterday. Read the previous 2 posts to be brought up to date). They were much better at telling me when they had to go and/or running to the bathroom on their own when they needed to go. In fact, they really liked running back and forth to the potty- mostly in hopes of getting a reward- whether they needed to go or not. When they go, the method recommends giving them a "silent reward" which is different then a bribe because instead of saying "If you go potty, I will give you..." If they go, you just give it to them. However, this is a little hard with two because if one goes potty and the other sees her get candy, of course that other one wants candy too, and I am left with no choice but to say "If you go potty, you I will give you....." Oh well. At least it encourages them to go. And, I am not above bribery. Whatever works....

But, with all the running back and forth to the potty and still needing to keep a close eye on them, it left virtually no time for anything else today. Which, after two days of not leaving the house and mostly sitting on the floor playing with them and running to the potty over and over and over and over again..... I was a bit bored. But, with the progress made it was worth it. Here are some highlights of the day:

-only went through 6 total pairs of panties between them (compared with 13 yesterday)
-only used 1/3 roll of paper towels in clean up (compared with a whole roll yesterday!)
-they LOVE to flush the toilet- whether they "went" or not. We were BIG water wasters the last couple days...
-I think we are wearing a path between our living room and the bathroom
-Meghan did a poo on the potty- running there herself! Ellie has yet to do so- she didn't even have a poo accidentally which could make tomorrow interesting. Ellie only had one pee accident all day!
-they are staying dry at nap time
-I went to Sam's Club tonight and walked right past the diaper aisle with a smile- not buying any! (By the way- I have a whole pack of Sam's Club size 5 diapers to the first person who says they want them- if you are local to me!)
-When I was clipping coupons to go the store, I clipped a coupon for "little swimmers" then later laughed at the realization I will probably not need to buy them!

We really only had one major accident today and it is funny enough to share. I left the room for just a minute and heard the sound of what I knew was their reward jelly beans rolling all over the floor. I walk in to see sure enough- Ellie had gotten a hold of the jelly beans and spilled them all over. Just as I walked in, she started to pee all over them. So, I rush her to the potty, but it was too late- it all had hit the floor. So, just as I was starting to clean that up, Meghan started to run for the potty because she needed to go, but she didn't quite make it either so she started to go all over the bathroom floor. She also had a mouthful of jelly beans that she had crammed in from when Ellie spilled them (but before she peed on them...). She spit out the jelly beans all over the floor and touched several surfaces with fingers covered in jelly bean juice. So then I had two big puddles to clean up as well as peed on jelly beans that I was trying to get cleaned up before the girls or the dog could eat any of the jelly beans or step in the pee, as well as bathroom surfaces decorated with jelly bean juice. Fun times!

But seriously, other than that, they did beautifully!! I am so proud of them! I am pleasantly surprised at how well this is working so far.

3 comments:

Breezi said...

ohh.. Pick me for the diapers :)

I'm impressed with how much progress you've been having with the girls! Great job!!

(do you wanna potty train Maggie??)

Katie said...

Just reading this sounds exhausting. But if it truly is over by this weekend, SO worth it! I'm glad it's getting easier. Six pair of underwear for two girls sounds fantastic. Wish I could claim the diapers.

Kelly said...

Love the stories, Amanda!! Things are really coming along!! I am so happy!! Not buying diapers is the best treat a mom could get these days!! Congrats!!