Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

3 Day Potty Training: Day 3: Success!

I am just absolutely in shock as to how well the last 3 days have gone. (Once more- for those of you just tuning in, we started the 3 day Potty Training by Lora Jensen on Thursday. Read the previous 3 entries for the entire story). Today is my final installment in this process. Here is today's update:

-Used a TOTAL of 3 panties all day!!!!! (the ONLY accident of the day was when Meghan did a poo in the potty, and then some in her pants a few minutes later. I think she had gotten up before she was done. Otherwise a dry day!) This is opposed to 6 pairs yesterday and 13 on Thursday.

-I used ZERO paper towels in potty clean ups today (as opposed to 1/3 roll yesterday and an entire roll Thursday)

-Both girls told me on their own when they needed to go. Several times, Meghan just went in there on her own! It definitely isn't because I am the one telling them to go, they are telling me.

-For this process, I had two "little potties" and of course the regular toilet. The girls fight over the "big" potty and are not too interested in the little potties!

-We were going to make our first outing in panties today, though I was a bit nervous about it. It was for my niece's birthday party, but Ellie actually came down with a fever so we couldn't go. So, the first outing will be church tomorrow, unless she still has a fever. We shall see. But, we did go out and play in the back yard for a while. They stayed dry!

-They still want to run back and forth to the bathroom over and over, even if they don't need to go, which is tiring, but I think it was a little better than yesterday. I look forward to when they only go in there when they really need to. Makes it hard to do anything else. Plus, I think they are using it as an excuse to get down from their high chairs or to get out of bed once they are down.

-I followed her method completely. The only variation, as mentioned before, is I use pull-ups for nap time and bed time, calling them "bed time panties." All three days, they have stayed dry during nap. I will test the waters a few more days, but I am thinking I don't need the pull-ups at nap! They seem to prefer the "Dora panties" over the "bed time panties." Last night, Meghan woke up fussing at 5 am. I went in and asked if she needed to go potty and she said yes. She was dry and went potty and went back to sleep and stayed dry. Ellie stayed dry the whole night!

So, my judgment at the end of the 3 days is that it works. I recommend it. It is tiring and not exactly "fun", but it gets the job done, way way quicker than with my boys. I wish I had known about this when I trained them. Because of the difficulty in training the boys, I have been dreading potty training the girls since I knew there were two babies coming, hoping they would be easier. The girls are way more potty trained then I really expected them to be at this point. Of course, the term "potty trained" is a bit subjective. To me, "potty trained" is when they can go in the bathroom, go, clean themselves, wash hands and come back out on their own, without me even needing to know they went. That doesn't seem to really happen until about age 5 (at least was the case with both of my boys...). But really, just being out of diapers and keeping panties dry counts too. Good enough for me!!!

7 comments:

Breezi said...

YAY!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Sara Emily said...

Yay!! I am amazed, as well, as to how well it went!!! Yay for Meghan and Ellen!! Yay for no more diapers - that's gotta feel good!!

Katie said...

I've considered this with both of my boys, but thought it would surely take more than three days and I'd give up. I cannot even believe it. Hurray for you. I hope it keeps going smoothly. Even if there are a few accidents here or there, it's WAY better than diapers. Congrats on a diaper free home! ***JEALOUS***

Autumn said...

Congrats!! What a tremendous success-and in 3 days! Wonderful. It was funny-Aaron's response-my first thought was-hmm-bathroom all weekend-maybe she's pregnant? :) So thanks for the follow up email. :)

Terresa said...

small world, I think we're kindred spirits! I, too think chocolate & peanut butter are quite perfect. And i have a set of twins (b/g), as well as 2 other kidlets in the mix. While life is crazy, it's never boring...I think you'd probably agree! ;)

PS: thanks for the potty training ideas. my youngest will be training later this year and I think I'll need all the help I can get!

Kelly said...

YEAH!!! So excited and happy for your whole house!! What big girls they have become!! What success! So impressive!!

Abbey said...

Way to go I am so glad it workded for you!!! Now we can go to the park for a breif moment. Hope the fevers are down!