Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

To Potty Train a Two Year old.....or Two....

Before I get on with the point of this post, I just want to say thank you for all the support and prayers and much appreciated comments as I dealt with the passing of my grandfather. It has been very surreal this week. I knew the time for him to move on was coming since he had been sick for a while. I knew I would miss him, but also kind of looked forward to the day when he could be free of his ill body. But, these past few days, as it has become real, I have been surprised by how sad I have been. But, I know that I will see him again someday and I know he is enjoying a wonderful reunion in heaven with those that have gone before. The preacher at the funeral said something I liked. He referred to how we often say that we "lost" someone when they die. He said that we haven't "lost" them because we know where they are (with our Father in Heaven) and we will see them again. I like that. I haven't lost my grandpa- I know where he is. So, thank you to all of you for your support and prayers. And, thank you to Kelly for taking my two wild gals and wearing them out so wonderfully! They had a great time! Also, thank you to Jackie and family for the beautiful flowers you sent to the funeral home and to Amy for the beautiful angel of remembrance- I will surely always remember him when I look at it. My family and friends are the best!

Okay, so on to the main reason for this post.

See these two silly girls?


Tomorrow, we hit potty training hard. The last few weeks, they have been driving me crazy, stripping off their diapers and running around naked. If Ellie poops or pees a lot in her diaper, she will come and tell me so, tell me to change her and consistently follow me around reminding me until I do. If I am not fast enough..... she takes matters into her own hands. This has been surprising to me- so different from my boys- both of which would sit in a poopy diaper all day without complaint until I noticed they needed changed. The boys were 3 1/2 before they were trained. I have been hoping the girls would be different. They are only 2 1/4 years old and, I believe, are telling me they are ready. I am certainly ready to be done with diapers!

A few friends of mine have raved about the 3 day potty training method by Lora Jensen.
They have said it worked for them. I acquired the e-book and I am going to give it a try. After the nightmare of 1+ years with each boy, 3 days sounds nice. The main idea of the method is choosing 3 days in a row when you will be home for the whole 3 days. This is hard for me with two older kids who need to go to school. Not to mention I have a tendency to fill my days with whatever errands I need to run or playgroups I can find. The idea is, while you are home, your child wears only big girl panties and a t-shirt, give them lots to drink, and you stay focused on them. She advises to have laundry caught up (working on that now...) and your household stabilized to focus on the potty training child. Then, when they start to have an accident, you scoop them up and run to the potty. It is centered around all positive reinforcement and encouragement without pressure and keeping your attention focused on them. She suggests getting rid of the diapers completely- even having your child help you throw out the old diapers to emphasize they are now a big girl- and buying 20 pairs of underwear (per child...) so that when they have an accident, you just put on a new pair. So, I bought 35 pairs of Dora panties...
and cleared my schedule for the week-not an easy task (thanks Dad for helping take the boys to school and back the next couple days!). My original plan was to start Monday, but the funeral plans changed all that. But, I still have a few days where I can keep the girls home, so I figure we will still go for it! The only part of the plan I don't agree with is she doesn't recommend using diapers at nap or night time- she believes they can be trained to stay dry while sleeping. I disagree- I feel it is something they cannot be taught, but something that must develop naturally when their bodies are ready. This is why there are some school age children that struggle with saying dry at night. So, I will use pull-ups during nap and night for a while. I am not a fan of pull-ups for day time use- not much different than diapers really. But, for bed times, they will at least reinforce the idea of the "diapers" being gone anyway.

So, I will post updates- maybe daily if I still have the energy after they go to bed (don't think I will have time before they go to bed....). I will give my opinion after the 3 days as to how well it worked. Maybe it will take a few extra days since I will use pull-ups at night? Either way....I can see the "light at the end of the tunnel" for a diaper free world soon!!!

4 comments:

Breezi said...

Man! Let me know how it goes :)
Maggie HATES the idea of going potty on the potty. She refuses to acknowledge when she does tinkle in her diaper. This is going to be rough. She'll be three in June. It's about stinkin' time she starts liking the idea of a potty.

Kelly said...

You go girl!! I am overwhelmingly impressed by your determination!! What a task you have challengend yourself to! I give you all props! No, it will be fine- you will be great at keeping those 35 pairs of Dora's clean and dry!
I loved having the girls today- it wasn't crazy at all!! They are super fun! It was my pleasure, my friend.

Katie said...

I've have heard of this method, but I'm always too chicken to try. It sounds like an exhausting few days (especially with two). But at least it will be over in three days. Good luck. But all worth it to be diaper free.

I agree about the dry through the night thing.

Suzanne said...

Wow- Let us know how it goes! Olivia is not far behind your girls. She also strips down by herself all the time. If you are successful maybe I'll be brave enough to give it a try. Good Luck!!