Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Learning Compasion

Despite the fact that it is spring, we have had an icky bug hit our house. I thought we were done with all this for the season, but apparently not. On Tuesday morning, Meghan was just not herself- really grumpy, but otherwise okay. We went to play at a friends house, where she seemed okay and played all morning. Close to lunch time, she was getting whiny and clingy and I realized she felt warm. She then proceeded to throw up in my friends house. I felt awful! She also complained of an earache. Her fever was 102 all that day and the next. So, I called to make and appointment with the doctor, though I was quite hesitant after THIS appointment. But, I figured this was the first time she has ever complained of her ear hurting. Before we left for the appointment, I noticed these blisters all over her left hand. We went to the doctor and she confirmed my suspicion of an ear infection- her first ever!

And, as far as the blisters? Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease! Yikes! It is a common preschool illness where they have a fever and get these blisters all over their hands, feet and mouth (hence the name....). Where she got it? Who knows- but it is just a virus that has to work it's way through. Luckily she seems to be handling it well. Her hand looks awful and I think she has a few in her mouth, but it doesn't seem too bad- her fever is even down already and she doesn't have the blisters anywhere else. Here is what her hand looks like (this isn't her hand- this is from the internet, but it looks just like this):I know they are painful because she says "ow" and rubs her hand on her pants. Ellie is starting to complain of an earache, but no fever yet.....

One of my points in writing about this is to record something Ellie said. When we went into the doctor's office and the nurse was trying to get information and take her temperature, Meghan was very upset and scared. Ellie looked at her and said so sweetly, "I know, Meg, I know..."

The nurse and I both just melted! So often, I feel like I do so many things wrong as a mom, but that helped me see that maybe I am doing maybe one thing right if they are learning compassion for each other. Kenny knew when I dropped him off at school that Meghan was sick. When he got in the car, the first thing he said was asking how Meghan was doing. I was just very touched.

9 comments:

Sara Emily said...

Awwww!! Such sweet children!! Poor Meghan! Just let me know if you need anything, Amanda - and I'll do it for you! Mabye a mile away, but I'll do it for you - LOL

Katie said...

Watching your children TRULY care for each other is one of the best things about being a mom.

I thought you were going to say swine flu...which would have been completely ironic after your last post.

That looks AWFUL. And having a kid throw up at a friends house? I would have felt so completely horrible.

Autumn said...

That made my day-the last part of course. Thanks for sharing that!! Absolutely 100% precious. I'm so glad you recorded that. And does she always call her Meg? HOW cute!!! That is just absolutely tender. And how sweet of Kenny too!! I really hope she feels better soon!!

Chip Kohrman said...

Poor sweet baby.

You have such great kids to comfort her.
That means that you're a good mom. Give yourself a pat on the back :)

Hope this works through fast.

Breezi said...

okay, that was me... not my hubby :)

Kelly said...

I am just loving this post- they so learn that compassion from their wonderful mother- oh, and Aaron's not so bad, either!!
Love them!

Suzanne said...

You guys have had it rough this year. I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Lauri said...

You know, I had never heard of that hand-mouth-foot disease until recently. It must be a new virus that wasn't around when I was raising children.

I'm glad you shared the sweet story of a sisters love.

trentnjeanmorello said...

aww...I hope she feels better soon! Your kids have always been so sweet and nice...and you always seem like a great Mom!