Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hostile Summer Takeover

I am a bit irritated by something and, even though I should be folding laundry, I had to talk about it.

We have a wonderful library here that does and amazing summer reading program here. They offer many FREE activities and then fun prizes for completing the reading goal. I look forward to taking my kids to the activities for a fun, free and constructive way to spend our time.

However, I feel like our fun activities are being taken over by local day care centers. I went with a group of friends to the library today in hopes of a fun activity, where we would then go for a picnic and a splash in the water at the local "sprayground." The activity was titled "pinatas"- which I admit, I really didn't know exactly what they would be doing. The room was jam-packed with kids- including at least two day care center groups. I then discovered that the activity was MAKING pinatas! They were blowing up balloons and then gluing on newspaper and colored paper in a paper-mache style. So, a very busy, messy activity. There was hardly room to breathe while trying to help our kids with their project. Several kids just melted down. The day care kids were constantly yelled at by their teachers, since there were too many kids with too few adults. I don't think anyone really enjoyed it. If those two groups would not have been there, it would have been so much more manageable.

I have also been there for story time when an entire group had shown up and basically took over story time- filling the area too much for the kids to be able to focus and enjoy.

I understand that it is tough for a school age kid to be in a day care room every day, all day during the summer and so their teachers look for alternatives. However, I feel they are taking advantage of the free activity with someone else to clean up the mess without considering how they are impacting others. They could have done this same activity in their center, had the same type of story time in their center. There has to be other field trip options to give them a change of scenery.

Then, we go to the sprayground and who else is there? At least two day care groups. Each group including about 20 kids who were "supervised" by only two adults. (When I say "supervised"- I mean two adults sitting back on a bench with a clip board in their hands talking to each other and not paying any attention to the kids....)

So, it makes me think twice before taking my own kids to do these activities, because of the masses of kids that may be there. Masses of kids that have their own resources for these kinds of activities. Activities that are geared towards families of children looking for a productive way to spend their summer. Yet, I feel we are being pushed out of the way by inconsiderate groups who aren't really thinking things through.

I think I need to say something to someone, just not sure who. There has to be some kind of regulation put to it.

While it was too much for the girls (they were too young for the activity anyway) but Jacob really enjoyed it! He is a very focused kid anyway and managed to tune everyone out because he was determined to finish his project. He did a great job!


In other news:

Kenny has been at cub scout day camp this week! He just joined cub scouts and this is his first experience. He is having an incredible time. I am so excited for him! When I picked him up yesterday, he looked so cute in his "gear" (t-shirt, hat, necklace he made) that he got at camp. He is such a big kid now and I am just amazed. Here he is:
(the theme is "Walking with Dinosaurs")


And now, with his new "Nerf" shot gun he got for his birthday: (it sooooo fits the outfit!):

3 comments:

Sara Emily said...

I hear ya!! What's wrong with setting up sprinklers in the child care center's yard? And why could they not make panatas at the care center? Yea - it was crazy. But looks like ya'll had fun!! We had a blast at the spray ground, too... but I got roasted. Your sister the Lobster. I don't know why I am so good at sun screening my kids, but not myself....

Autumn said...

Agreed! I think I'm going to write a letter to the branch.

Kelly said...

I agree- the sprayground had more kids than I have ever seen there yesterday- it was AWFUL!! We could barely sit and the kids kept getting knocked over by big kids who were too BIG to be there in my opinion. There should be a limit of how many kids and sizes inside- and the library too!!