Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, June 19, 2009

It Takes a Child....

The following pictures are from last summer, but I am re-posting them because they totally explain the story I will tell.

Tonight, I did something I have only ever done 3 or 4 times in my life. I mowed the lawn. It isn't because I feel I shouldn't or anything other than I have just never really had to. Growing up, I had two brothers and a dad who were perfectly capable of doing it, and then I married someone who was content to do the job and usually home to do so when needed. Besides, the one time I remember doing it as a teenager, I remember my dad getting upset that I wasn't doing it "right" and told me to "just forget it." I never had to do it again before I got married. (Which, could explain why, after nearly 11 years of marriage, Aaron can never seem to do dishes right, or remember where they go when he puts them away.....hmmm)

The reason I did it tonight, is because it really needed done before our Father's Day cookout/Kenny's rescheduled birthday party on Sunday (by the way- after 6 days of being sick, he was finally much better today!!) and Aaron would be out late tonight. He will not be able to do it tomorrow, due to working most of the day and rain that may make it impossible. That would leave his only option Sunday morning, which is not only the Sabbath day, but also Father's day- and it just seemed wrong that he would have to mow the lawn on Father's days. I know I don't like to do any of my normal jobs on Mother's day.

So, that was a long winded prologue to my story. It was about 8:30 and both girls were sound asleep, so I figured I could go do it. I surprised myself by starting the mower on the first try. I mowed a little, but then had to turn it off to go check something else. I came back and could not start the mower for anything. I checked the gas tank, and it was pretty low, so I filled it. It still wouldn't start. It was at this point that Kenny, my 8 YEAR OLD began trouble shooting for me. Maybe I needed to put it on the sidewalk, maybe I should make sure it's not jammed with grass, etc. Then he said, "Maybe you should push the button up here 3 times like dad does." Oh- I didn't even see it there. I then remembered the last time I mowed- like 3 years ago with a different mower- having to do something similar. This button was so far up front, that I couldn't easily see it. So, I did and it started right up! His fascination with Dad mowing paid off!

Of course, by the time I figured it all out and got into a rhythm, it was getting dark and harder to see. I couldn't see the dog's land mines and by some luck- managed to miss them! Of course, in broad daylight tomorrow, it will probably look like a drunk person mowed the lawn, but hey, at least I did it!

Aaron has nothing to worry about though- I have no desire to take over his job. But, in just a couple more years, Kenny will be ready! He obviously already has the "know how," he just needs a couple years of maturity and some body strength! That will be a good day.


As a side note, just thought I would share the recipe to this wonderfully sinful pie you see pictured below. I made it yesterday and it disappeared very quickly! Click here for the recipe for this Chocolate Chip Pie.

2 comments:

Autumn said...

Haha!! I love picturing your lawn mowed by a "drunk"! haha! Such cute pictures. The pie looks good!

Mom Janet said...

I can just see you out there with Kenny watching and "supervising" as you go - they really do pay attention to every little thing that you do especially when you think they are not paying attention. I'm sure the grass looked just fine and that Aaron really appreciated your effort and got a big kick out of it.