Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day 2009

Wow! What a busy few days it has been! I absolutely love this holiday. Love the summer, love the cook outs, love the fireworks, the family, and of course- the reason behind the holiday- America's Independence. I love this country and could not imagine a better place to live.

This years holiday did not disappoint. On Friday, we went to my Aunt Nancy's house on Buckeye Lake for a cookout and boat ride. I got to see several relatives that I just don't see very often. My Great Uncle Dick even brought an older style ice cream maker. (I am not really sure how old, but he did mention my one aunt who is in her 40's helping make ice cream with it when she was young....) He really enjoyed explaining how it worked to my kids and letting them help. What a fun experience for all!
The ice cream was delicious! Plus, someone had made a homemade blueberry cobbler. We put some of the homemade ice cream on the homemade cobbler. Oh my...... I was in heaven!!!!!!

We then went on a spin around Buckeye Lake. Of course, the kids LOVED it!!!
In addition to the girls wearing life jackets, I had the leash from their toddler harnesses attached to the back of the jacket, with the leashes wrapped around my hands- so they weren't going anywhere! I was glad I did this, because they did keep wanting to lean over and look out. (We didn't get a good picture of Jacob, poor kid, but you can see him hanging out in the back of the boat...)

Kenny was positioned in a spot where he got wet every time we hit the wake of another boat. He was not disappointed by this!!


Then, for the 4th, we drove out to visit Aaron's dad. We had a great time with yet another delicious cookout. It was also warm enough for a short dip in Grandpa's pool. (A little cool for my taste really- but we had promised the kids. They had a blast. I know, I know- "Mother of the Year" :)ha ha ha) The plan was to then drive home and catch the local fireworks. However, it started to rain and the girls were sooooo exhausted because they had now missed their nap 3 days in a row. Since fireworks in the rain with 2 grumpy over tired toddlers did not sound like fun, we nixed the idea. The girls fell asleep on the way home from Grandpa's house and so we brought them in the house to immediately get them ready for bed. Ellie layed down on the floor and fell asleep right there on the floor before we could get her PJ's on!!!! Once they were settled, just about 9pm, I looked outside and noticed it was not raining and even looked pretty dry. So, on a last minutes whim, I took just the boys and went to the local fireworks! Despite parking headaches (my own fault for leaving very last minute....), we had a great time!

We ended up in a Kroger parking lot (with TONS of other people- turned out to be a great place to watch!!) and this is how the boys enjoyed the fireworks:
Oh, wait, let's take a step or two back here:


They thought this was awesome. The weather worked out great- as you can see from droplets on the car, it drizzled a bit on the way there, but from the time we got parked to the end of the fireworks- not a drop of rain! They kept complaining about being cold though. It wasn't cold, but it was cooler then usual- low 70's I would bet at that point.

It has been a very strange week weather wise!! The strangest first week of July ever! We have had much cooler temperatures- to the point that we have not had our AC on for an entire week! So, I am grateful for the lower electricity bill- a huge blessing! But, it does seem odd in the middle of the summer- I am kind of missing the pool and sprayground!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Well you really packed in the fun. I'm glad you made it to the fireworks. We stuck it out the whole night and the rain was never too bad. The kids didn't even notice or complain at all.

The boat looks so fun. We've never done that with out kids. And the cobbler and ice cream sounds delish!

Kelly said...

You have been busy!! I love the boat ride pics and what fun to have homemade ice cream and cobbler- I am dying to make something with the 3 packs of blueberries I bought last week- perhaps I will make that!!
The firework pics are great too- glad you got to see some even at a distance- we did too- we watch Grove City ones from my brother's back yard- it is the closest we get!
Super fun, and yes,lets' hope for hotter weather this week for the sprayground and pool- but not too hot, I too am enjoying the reprieve of no AC!!

Sara Emily said...

I'm so sorryw e missed the berry cobbler and ice cream! I was so done dealing with my fussy tired baby, tho, so I had to go. I'm glad you guys had a fun weekend! The weather has been CRAZY for sure!

Busy Mom said...

You have to come where I see the fireworks every year! I am assuming you were watching Whitehall's show. We always have the best parking and can get in and out very quickly, without all the hassle. Plus we have a great view! Ask me sometime and I will share.