Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

To Plant a Garden (Part I)

For years, I have wanted to plant a small garden, knowing it would be a good thing to learn and to have free veggies for our family. However, I have always managed to put it off for one reason or the other: lack of start up funds, new baby (ies) in the house, procrastination, etc. This year, I was determined to give it a try. I was very interested in the idea of a square foot garden, since it would be small, contained and manageable. Seemed perfect for a novice. So, I went to the website to get the basics of how to set it up (find it here) and did it!!

I was excited about planting it and maintaining it, but had no desire to build the box or set it up, so I requested Aaron do it as my mother's day present. He set it up Memorial day weekend and he did a great job! Here is how it looked in early June:

Pretty much a blank box, though at this point, if you look close, you can see a couple little cucumber sprouts in the front.

This is how it looks today:
Cool huh? I am so excited that it is growing so well! I find though, that I am learning as I go. I really had no idea what I was doing starting out and the website didn't really give any tips on individual plants. So, I just planted them all in the quadrants, based on the spacing the back of the seed packet said. I planted cucumbers, green and red peppers, lettuce, parsley, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and green beans. I didn't realize until I planted them all-from seed at the end of May- that tomatoes and peppers are usually started indoors earlier in the season, or people usually just purchase the plants. So, it may be October before I get tomatoes or peppers, but they are growing well even though I just planted the seed in the soil! I also didn't know how much cucumbers branched out, so I have been working on staking them and/or directing their growth away from the other plants.

But, I am excited to be learning!! I am having some success. First of all, every single thing I planted has at least sprouted and most of it is growing quickly. My cucumber plants have little yellow flowers all over them which I assume will be cucumbers eventually. Also, I have already been able to harvest some lettuce! Check out this bowl full of lettuce grown in our own garden!
And, my green bean plants are producing beans!! (Imagine that.... ha!)
So, this is my newest venture. I already look forward to doing it again next year, applying what I have learned this year to make it even better!

I will likely post updates in the future to continue to record its progress.

5 comments:

Autumn said...

Go girl!! Today I was looking at mine with a bit of pride-its FAR from a perfect garden but I DID it and that was the biggest part for me. I think you diversified way more than I did. Doesn't it feel great to have your own produce?

Kelly said...

I planted my first garden ever this year- it is wonderful!! I never knew how much I would love it! Thankfully my neighbor dug this ginormous garden, and my stuff went in there. We started them all from seeds- helped Alex with some scouting, by the way- and now we are full of great veggies!! I picked lettuce for a big salad last night too and today the kids and picked 3 large buckets of beans and de-strung them tonight! IT is amazing! Love the square foot size- more for us- tell Aaron I will hire him next year to make mine!!

Sara Emily said...

I want to do one next year, so I will rely on your help! Yours is awesome!!

Benjamin Vogt said...

Check that parsley before you eat it! It is a caterpillar feeding ground for black swallotail butteflies--we have several eggs on our parsley and fennel, and a few tiny caterpillars (one in a chrysalis already actually). Looking good!

Lauri said...

I need to join the bandwagon and plant a garden. I love fresh from the garden goodness. In AZ, we plant in October and have winter gardens.