Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Football Friday Night Flashbacks

As I was growing up, Football Friday nights at the local high school were always a big deal. Having a dad and two brothers who loved football, made fall Friday nights at the school a must. Then, when I entered high school, I eagerly joined the marching band and thus became a part of Friday Night football as well. To be honest- I HATED high school. It was a time of drama in my life- both real and imagined- and when I graduated, I really never looked back. Except for my time in the marching band. I LOVED being in the band and performing, doing competitions and football games. Yes, I was a true "band geek" in every way and proud of it! It is the one thing about high school I miss.
Marching Band Senior Year (Fall 94)

The funny thing is, with a dad and two brothers who loved football, more than a decade of Friday Night football games and 40 games as part of the band and sitting right near the end zone- I know so very little still about football. I know when they score and that is about it. How can I know so little, when I spent so much time on the field and at games? Because I absolutely never paid attention to the game. When I wasn't performing, I was huddled on the band bleachers with my best friends gossiping about whatever the current teenage drama was.
(me with Jackie and Lynette after a state competition)

It was also always tradition to go find my dad during 3rd quarter when the band got a break and asking for money to go buy junk food at the concession stand. He was always awesome that way!!!Parents Night 1993- with my sister, Julie, on the left


Parents' Night 94

This past Friday night, on a whim, I took the boys to my hometown football game. My dad currently helps with the games by running the scoreboard. He has been wanting me to bring the boys for sometime. They had a blast! I didn't know until that afternoon that it was alumni band night. My sister, Emily, tried to talk me into participating, since she was planning on doing so with the flag corp as she did in high school. Considering I had not touched my trumpet in probably 10 years, I didn't think I was up to the task. (Sorry Em- I believe it is easier to relearn a basic flag routine then to play a trumpet that hasn't been touched in a decade!)

It was also homecoming night. It took me back to homecoming night as a teenager. You could see the excitement of the contestants for queen/king with the anticipation of-to them- what was one of the most important nights of their life.

The one thing I really noticed is how nothing has changed since I graduated 14 years ago-it was like I had gone back in time. Some examples:

- The band wears similar uniforms and plays the same songs- directed by the same band director I had.

- The homecoming court consisted of a large number of cheerleaders and football players.... as usual!

- The swarms of kids all around the stadium were "dressed" to impress in whatever their individual style was. They stood around in groups feeling grown up and showing off- trying to be cool. Including the shirtless teenage boys painted in school colors!

- The cheerleaders still do the same cheers and even look like the cheerleaders that I went to school with!

- Parents on the bleachers beaming with pride.

-Know-it-alls in the bleachers complaining about the refs and/or being bleacher coaches.

No, nothing has changed since I was in high school.


Well......okay...... just ONE thing......



The high school kids look so YOUNG!!!!!!!!!

(when did I get so old??)

5 comments:

Lauri said...

I still love high school football games. But I'm like you--I know very little about the game because I spend my time watching the band, the cheerleaders, the students, etc. but pay little attention to the actual game. Not much has changed and it's been more than 30 years since I've been in HS.

Kelly said...

That was fun!! I have only been back to my HS for one game since I graduated, but we have been to several RHS games- and it feels pretty much the same- you are so right in all those ways!!
I sooo loved your band pics- I played trumpet too!!

Sarah said...

Great pictures Amanda. With Lindsey in marching band now up at Madison, it sure does bring back all those memories. I have not gone to see her - too long of a night for Joey and Kurtis is just not interested. Next year I am definitely going - she will be a senior!!

Autumn said...

Hehe!! SUCH a fun post!! I absolutely loved reading it all!! You and Julie are knockouts. The band geeks in our HS had SOOO much fun. I always wished I played an instrument so I could be part of that fun group. Its funny-the night you went must have been the same night I had an itch to go to MY HS! It was weird-you told me you had gone and I had JUST had an itch to go to our old school--such funny timing!

Katie said...

That sounds so fun. Really fun post. (I'm behind on blogging and playing catch up.) Love the pictures. I'm always fan of flashbacks.