Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

The FRUITS of our labors

Last weekend, my sister Emily had an excellent idea to go apple picking with our kids. There is nothing better than eating an apple freshly picked right off the tree! It was just the perfect day for it.


Meghan and Ellen got their first taste of a fresh apple! They loved it!

Jacob (who just got done playing a soccer game, hence the outfit) and Joey search for just the perfect apple! (Kenny was spending a special day with Grandpa.)

Baby Savanna bit into an apple for the first time and made quite a face but kept going back for more! Even a one year old knows how special the taste of a fresh apple is!

So, I was thrilled to come home with a 20 pound bag of fresh picked Jonathan apples.
Though, I immediately started wondering what to do with them all to be sure we got good use from them before they went bad. Not to mention I still had a large bag of apples from the grocery store a couple days before, since I didn't know then we would be going apple picking.

The lady at the apple farm said the Jonathan apples were great for baking- which was good because I knew I wanted to make at least one pie.

Of course, quite a few have been eaten already. Here is what I did with the others:
Thankfully, I do still have some left over, but I went through quite a few. As I heard about the idea of canning my own applesauce and canning my own pie filling, I went from "what do I do with all these" to "I wish I had more!"

Though, considering I still need to learn how to do home canning, that is probably best left for next year. Anyone willing to teach me how to do canning??

Every year, I am always a little sad to see summer end. However, the joys of the fall harvest and all of the beautiful colors remind me just what a great season autumn really is.

6 comments:

Lauri said...

I have a ton of apples at my house too. I am looking for something to do with them...already made an apple crisp (YUMMM). I am thinking about applesauce. Have you ever added red hot candies to homemade applesauce? It is delish! I found a recipe for an apple/chicken salad that sounded pretty good and I want to try apple chips. Oh and of course a few carmel apples.

When our kids were little, we used to go annually to pick apples. What a fun tradition! I love apples in the fall...the possibilities are endless!

Katie said...

I think we'll go one of these days. It always reminds me of fall.

I'm pretty sure I saw your sister at the zoo in the rain yesterday. I meant to stop her, but one, it was raining. And two, I was highly distracted at the moment. Spencer and Parker had gone to the bathroom and there was miscommunication about where we were supposed to meet up and Spencer somehow had both cell phones. We were lost for like 40 minutes. I was very frustrated. So if your sister is reading this...Sorry. I wasn't trying to pretend I didn't notice you.

Kelly said...

I love the apple picking here!! We have gone twice and will go again in a few weeks. I have more apples than I know what to do with- but we will eat them all, i promise!! Loved the pics!

Wendy said...

I LOVE apple picking - we go several times. Some of the apples keep for a very long time. Question - did you dehydrate some of the apples (is that what the one photo was)? If so, do you have a dehydrator (and what one) or how did you do that? I would love to do that!

Busy Mom said...

I think we need to get together for some canning lessons! I love to can, but it is always better with two people.

Autumn said...

mmm. so fun