Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

On Following Spiritual Promptings

Sorry I have been MIA from here lately. We have been busy, but just not much that was post worthy- just normal everyday stuff. Everyone is healthy and well (no "pig cold" yet....) and busy with school, work, home, etc. I am sure my next post will be the obligatory fall pictures of the tons of fun we have had- but until then, I will share some thoughts I have had.

I feel a little vulnerable writing this because I will demonstrate my lack of perfection (as I am sure everyone really believed I was perfect....ha!).

I believe that the Holy Spirit gives us promptings from time to time to guide us to things we need to do or people that need our help. It speaks in a small voice in our hearts that we must work toward being spiritually in tune to hear. I have ignored that voice a couple times lately and have seen the consequences first hand.

There had been a time when I had all flashlights together with working batteries and matches in an easy place for me to grab. It had occurred to me lately that I was quite sure all batteries had died and I wasn't entirely sure where the flashlights and matches were. I knew between us and the kids, they had moved over time. I felt I needed to make sure everything was organized and ready. Maybe this was partly due to a Relief Society night we had just had at church that taught about preparedness, but also, no doubt, a prompting I needed to follow through with. I got busy, however, and put it off. Friday night, we had a great time at our church Halloween party (pictures coming soon). Afterward, Aaron had to head off somewhere, while I headed home with the kids by myself (we had driven separately). I came home to a house that was pitch black due to an unexplained power outage. I found myself rummaging in the dark for our grill lighter and lighting a candle to use to find one of our flashlights which had dead batteries and using that one candle still to find the batteries to put in the flashlight to then go around and light more candles- all while getting kids and stuff in the house and getting kids ready for bed. It was not fun. Had I just taken a little time earlier in that very same day when the thought was heavy on my mind- it would have been a much easier situation to handle. In the end, everything was fine and the power came on about 1/2 hour later. Definitely a lesson in preparedness and following promptings.

Unfortunately, that is not the only example. There is a another, more painful one. There was a certain member at our church that I had not seen in a while. I was worried about her and I felt I should call her. I put it off as I often do phone calls, as I am not a big phone person. One Sunday, I saw her husband there and I asked about her. He explained she has had to work a lot of Sundays and that is why she wasn't there. I felt better knowing that it was because she was working and not because she didn't want to be there or that there wasn't something big wrong. Deep down, I just knew I still needed to call her, but I did not. Maybe partly because on a following Sunday, I saw her at church and chatted with her a couple minutes. She is someone I have always liked and thought highly of, it is just hard for me to reach out and start friendships. How I wish I could go back in time and make that phone call and reach out a little more. A couple months after that, her husband died a very sudden, completely unexpected death at a young age. The entire church was in shock and she was devastated and has been working on picking up the pieces while being a now single mom to 3 young children. I have reached out a few times, but my help offers have not been accepted probably because I didn't establish myself as a support person before this tragedy. I think God was trying to tell me that-even though she was okay then- the time was coming she would need support. She does have family and friends though that have been right there with her. This is something I have asked God for forgiveness for. I really want to do my best to never fail on a prompting again. The first example had minor, inconvenient consequences, the second had bigger consequences.

In my defense, there is a couple times I have gotten it right. An acquaintance had been in a car accident with some moderate injuries. She had a very busy husband and two young kids she was trying to care for. I felt strongly that I needed to at least take them dinner, since this wasn't someone I knew well. So, I just showed up at their door with food and she was so grateful. They had eaten nothing but fast food all week because she just did not have the strength to cook and her husband did not have the time.

There has of course been a few times where that voice has helped with my children in keeping them safe, or knowing what to do when they are sick.

So, I would encourage everyone to listen to those promptings and follow through, no matter how simple or silly it may seem. I know I am committed to doing better.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

You have such a beautiful heart... it is definitely inspiring to hear what weighs on it. So many people never even think about another person... and you actually feel guilty for not acting more strongly on your thoughts and feelings for them. That is very rare.

Lauri said...

Learning to hear the promptings of the Spirit is something that takes some time to understand...learning to act upon those promptings takes a life time. You're definitely on the right track.

Breezi said...

You are definitely not the only one who doesn't follow through on promptings. I've been spiritually kicked in the bum a few times because of ignoring certain things. It is humbling for sure.
We all do the best that we can... and we all learn from hard lessons.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Katie said...

If it's any consolation...you are hands down the most compassionate person I know. I remember a time when I was so pregnant and miserable and out of the goodness of your heart, you took Parker ALL DAY long and surprised me with dinner...only to take parker again...over night I believe just a few days later.

It's your compassion and ability to listen to promptings that makes you such a good friend...and the reason why I can't serve in a presidency without you. I know that's something I'm not good at and I need you there to balance things out.

You're doing great.

Autumn said...

I think that's a lesson I relearn ALL the time--to listen to the small promptings. Crazy enough, I have that EXACT same prompting about the flashlights, first aid kits and 72 hour kits recently. I am mostly done with first aid kits, I bought flashlights (but they need charged) and I have acquired the 72 hour kit bags but not stuffed them yet-thanks for the reminder!!

Katie said...

So I was thinking about this post some more this afternoon.

Aaron really had somewhere to go at 9:00pm on Friday dressed like Frankenstein's Monster?

Amanda B. said...

Katie-

HA HA!!!:) Very good point! Actually- there was a VW gathering going on that night that started earlier in the evening and he decided he still wanted to go after the party even though he would be late. When we were leaving, I asked if he was planning to come home and take a shower before he went and he said he didn't want to because he was already going to be late and the guys would probably get a kick out of it- and they did! He says someone took a picture, so I may post it later. :) Gotta love him....

Kristin said...

Hey Amanda, Sorry it's been so long. Thanks for sharing that post - it made me want to be sure not to be too busy (or lazy, or angry, or whatever) to miss those promptings - they're gold.