Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Proud to be........

A soccer mom!

That is six words I never ever thought I would say!! (I think it is cool how their uniforms are opposite... that is really how they were given to them from their teams! Jacob has a white shirt and blue socks and Kenny has a blue shirt with white socks.)

As I have mentioned before, our family was a football family. When I was in high school, the soccer kids were seen as being a little "different"- is the best way to put it. In fact, when boys would call our house to talk to one of us as teenagers, my dad would ask them if they liked soccer or football..... If they didn't answer correctly, Dad would hang up on them! (No, I'm not joking!)

However, I have come to love the sport for my kids. They really enjoy it and it is a great way to stay active and learn about sports and sportsmanship. Plus, the games for their age take less than an hour! Kenny played T-ball one year and even with only 6 innings, the game....dragged...on....forever!

I was hesitant to do soccer this year for a few reasons. I know it is always a challenge, even with nothing going on, to get them to do their homework. Plus, Kenny sees a reading tutor once a week as well as being involved in scouts. I didn't want to over schedule them, but Jacob wanted to play for the first time ever. He had never wanted to play before and I hated to tell him no when he finally wanted to (this was Kenny's third season). And, I felt like I couldn't let him do it and not Kenny. So, I figured we would give it a try and that-ultimately- soccer only lasts for two months.

It was a challenge- Jacob had one practice and one game each week while Kenny had 1 or two practices and 1 or 2 games per week (for a total of 3 soccer event per week for Kenny). There were times when Aaron was out of town or working and they both had games at the same time in different parks. I am so grateful to my parents for their help (my dad has come around to soccer now that he has grandsons involved!) And, Kenny had to miss some scouts for his games, but as of yesterday, soccer is done and he can go to scouts every week now! But all in all, they had a great time and it all worked out okay.

Jacob focused very well on the game and learned each position quickly and played hard during games. We found Kenny to have talent in the defense position.

As far as if we do it again next year- well, it depends. I think I need a year to forget how busy it was. We could not keep up that pace for an entire year- it would never work- but for a couple months, it was okay.


Both teams had awesome coaches that really did a great job of being positive and teaching the game and caring about the kids.


In all honesty, neither team was very good, but it really doesn't matter. They had a great time and learned a lot and that is what matters. I think Jacob's team won a couple games and I don't think Kenny's team won any. I don't think they even know that- they just know they had a blast!

Here is the true personality of the teams: (Jacob's team had a picture like this too, but I am not sure why I don't have it...I must have been chasing the girls then or something.)
So, I am glad they played and had a great time, but also oh so happy it is done for the season!!!

5 comments:

Lauri said...

I forgot how time consuming soccer was. See...you really do forget the bad part of it. It makes for some good memories in the years to come.

Sara Emily said...

Yup - your boys are now officially 'soccer twinkies'!!! :)

Katie said...

That's fun...I've yet to enroll my kids in sports. I thknk it's funny your dad made fun of soccer players. I've never known anyone like that. In fact, soccer was probably cooler than football at my high school.

Autumn said...

I have always loved soccer. I LOVE the second pic of the two of them!

Sarah said...

I am glad the boys had fun!