Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

No Band-Aids!!!!

Has anyone ever heard of a child being afraid of or disliking band-aids?!?! Most kids I know insist on band-aids for boo-boos so small they don't even leave a mark. Well.... THIS sweet , adorable, spunky child hates them.This child had developed a fear of doctors offices and band-aids- as previously mentioned in this post and this post. She used to call them "gickers,"(the way she pronounced "stickers") though her developing speech as progressed to calling them band-aids. The fear came from getting her 2-year shots and the nurse putting "gickers" on after the shot. So, she associated band-aids with pain versus making the pain better. Ever since then- no matter how badly she needed band-aids, I could NEVER get her to keep one one. If I did successfully get one on, she would cry until she got it off herself.

So, I gave up in a sense. If it was a particularly bad boo-boo, I would wait until she fell asleep and sneak in her room and put one on. Of course, it would come off as soon as she woke and found it, but at least we were able to keep the boo-boo covered over night with a little Neosporin on it.

Last week, for some odd reason, she got quite a blister on her little toe that popped open. Again, she threw a fit at the thought of a band-aid despite promises it would help it feel better. So, again, my plan was to put it on after she fell asleep. Well, "mother of the year" forgot. The next day, I noticed a little blood on her sock. I tried again to put a band-aid on but she pitched a fit, so I didn't push since the bleeding had stopped by then anyway. I was sure it was painful, but unsure what to do. Cute little band-aids such as these didn't help her to waiver one little bit:


The next night, I put one on when she fell asleep. But, she woke to potty at 1:30 and cried and took it off. The next day, it busted open again and her sock was SOAKED with blood. That was the final straw for me. If I had to hold her down, she would wear a band-aid! I did NOT want it to get infected. That is exactly what I did. I held her down and put on a band-aid despite her fit. Once I had it on I told her she could absolutely NOT take it off. Surprisingly, though unhappy, she did not take it off! Her maturity must have progressed enough to understand I was serious! Plus, no doubt it had been quite painful and the neosporin was probably helping with the pain. She kept it on till the next day when it fell off.

And, guess what she did..... asked for another band-aid! I am so proud of her for conquering her fear!

5 comments:

Breezi said...

Alli was the exact same! She HATED band-aids. You couldn't get that child to even LOOK at one, let alone wear one. When she got tubes in her ears (just after she turned 4) the first thing she noticed when she woke up were the bandaids from the IV's... holy cow... that was a bad situation for sure!
I think she's finally over it.. but still.. what a silly fear, huh? I never heard of any other kid hating bandaids.... (until, now) She also hated any sort of stickers on her. lol.
We have such funny girls!

Sara Emily said...

I love Meghan! She's so awesome. :) Good for her wearing her bandaid!!

Katie said...

Way to go MEghan! Nice job conquering those band-aids.

Autumn said...

haha!! That is too funny!

marfmom said...

never heard of that! what about, instead of a bandaid, applying a piece of guaze and medical tape? it doesn't look like a bandaid but does the job just as well :-)