This time every year, we are all bombarded with the annual onslaught of Christmas music. In the stores, in our cars, in our homes- everywhere. When some radio stations started playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving, I was just not ready. However, in the last couple weeks, I have found myself with my radio tuned to Christmas music all the time. I love it! So, for your entertainment, here is my opinion on the best and the worst Christmas songs out there- with links for you to listen (I figured it would be a bit much to embed that many videos into one post-most of the videos are dumb anyway).
5 Awesome Wonderful Christmas Songs:
1) Josh Grobin- O Holy Night (I like any version of this song, but this one blows any other version out of the water!
2) Christmas Canon (This song is just beautiful! I always imagined a boy choir in a big cathedral singing this song. However, upon listening closer to the words, it occurred to me they could be singing about Santa instead of Christ like I originally thought. It tainted the song a little for me, but I still love it! The music is just beautiful!)
3) TSO- Carol of the Bells (love the strong instrumentation and the slightly darker sound....)
4) Sleigh Ride (especially this instrumental version- I like how it is fast paced and makes me want to dance, but I like all versions)
5) I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas (just too funny and fun to listen too...... love it!)
A few other favorites are What Child is This, Angels we have Heard on High, Mary Did You Know, Do you Hear what I Hear, The Little Drummer Boy (most versions, see below) and many more!
And these are songs where I change the channel when they come on:
1) Santa Claus is coming to town. (Bruce Springsteen version- I don't like this song because it sounds like Mr. Springsteen is having a tough bowel movement while trying to sing the chorus.)
2) Little Drummer Boy- ( I only hate this version by the Harry Simeone Chorale- I love the song when it is sung right which is most of the time- this version just doesn't fit the song-old operatic sounding ladies. I am realizing this is possibly the original version and I feel guilty for my dislike, but I think it is much better sung with a strong male voice and a real drum)
3) Santa Claus is coming to town- I really do like this song, even though it is listed twice here- there is just some bad versions out there like this one from the Beach Boys- what is up with the circus theme between lyrics??
4) Do they know it is Christmas Time at all? (I am all for "Band-Aid" and for giving what I can at Christmas, but I hate songs that make me feel guilty for being happy at Christmas time. "There won't be snow in Africa this winter" ?? duh..... I think that's a given...)
5) Christmas shoes (A good song with a good message, but Christmas songs should never be depressing....it makes me want to cry. I prefer the happier Christmas songs.)
So, there is my take on it. I am sure there are those out there who like some of them I hate and hate some that I love. I would love to hear your opinions! I here by tag Emily, Sarah, Katie, Kelly, Autumn, Breezie, Laurie , Michelle & Amanda M and anyone else who feels like it to participate and do a similar post!! Yay for Christmas!
Muth & Company Roofing FREE Roof Giveaway
7 hours ago