Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Best and the Worst (Tag!)

This time every year, we are all bombarded with the annual onslaught of Christmas music. In the stores, in our cars, in our homes- everywhere. When some radio stations started playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving, I was just not ready. However, in the last couple weeks, I have found myself with my radio tuned to Christmas music all the time. I love it! So, for your entertainment, here is my opinion on the best and the worst Christmas songs out there- with links for you to listen (I figured it would be a bit much to embed that many videos into one post-most of the videos are dumb anyway).


5 Awesome Wonderful Christmas Songs:

1) Josh Grobin- O Holy Night (I like any version of this song, but this one blows any other version out of the water!
2) Christmas Canon (This song is just beautiful! I always imagined a boy choir in a big cathedral singing this song. However, upon listening closer to the words, it occurred to me they could be singing about Santa instead of Christ like I originally thought. It tainted the song a little for me, but I still love it! The music is just beautiful!)
3) TSO- Carol of the Bells (love the strong instrumentation and the slightly darker sound....)
4) Sleigh Ride (especially this instrumental version- I like how it is fast paced and makes me want to dance, but I like all versions)
5) I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas (just too funny and fun to listen too...... love it!)

A few other favorites are What Child is This, Angels we have Heard on High, Mary Did You Know, Do you Hear what I Hear, The Little Drummer Boy (most versions, see below) and many more!

And these are songs where I change the channel when they come on:
1) Santa Claus is coming to town. (Bruce Springsteen version- I don't like this song because it sounds like Mr. Springsteen is having a tough bowel movement while trying to sing the chorus.)
2) Little Drummer Boy- ( I only hate this version by the Harry Simeone Chorale- I love the song when it is sung right which is most of the time- this version just doesn't fit the song-old operatic sounding ladies. I am realizing this is possibly the original version and I feel guilty for my dislike, but I think it is much better sung with a strong male voice and a real drum)
3) Santa Claus is coming to town- I really do like this song, even though it is listed twice here- there is just some bad versions out there like this one from the Beach Boys- what is up with the circus theme between lyrics??
4) Do they know it is Christmas Time at all? (I am all for "Band-Aid" and for giving what I can at Christmas, but I hate songs that make me feel guilty for being happy at Christmas time. "There won't be snow in Africa this winter" ?? duh..... I think that's a given...)
5) Christmas shoes (A good song with a good message, but Christmas songs should never be depressing....it makes me want to cry. I prefer the happier Christmas songs.)

So, there is my take on it. I am sure there are those out there who like some of them I hate and hate some that I love. I would love to hear your opinions! I here by tag Emily, Sarah, Katie, Kelly, Autumn, Breezie, Laurie , Michelle & Amanda M and anyone else who feels like it to participate and do a similar post!! Yay for Christmas!

3 comments:

Katie said...

IT really is funny...some of your favs are on my change the channel list. IT has to do with memories attached and what you grew up listening to. But I feel the same about Do They Know it's Christmas Time at All. Spencer and I make fun of this all the time.

I don't know if I can really do this or not. Five favs? Yikes. I have WAY too many.

Kristin said...

Amanda, I TOTALLY agree with Christmas shoes and Springsteen's "Santa".

trentnjeanmorello said...

Aww...I LOVE Christmas shoes...it shows the "Christmas Spirit"-it is SAD but a VERY great song!