Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Hypochondria

Hello. My name is Amanda and I am a hypochondriac. Okay, not really- except when the stomach flu visits my house.

This is one of those weeks. Apparently, my girls picked up the bug during nursery at church last week. It started Tuesday with Meghan who decided to throw up just as we were walking into Childrens' Hospital for a scheduled doctor's appointment for Jacob. That was not fun. The reason I suspect it was nursery is because several other kids that they play with in nursery started getting sick at the same time- right around Tuesday and Wednesday, which is the perfect amount of time for the bug to grow. Then, Ellie got sick in the wee hours of Thursday morning, all over her bed. This morning, I was woken up by Kenny at 4 am saying, "Mom! I threw up!" It was alllllllllll over his bed. I realize this is probably working as great birth control to my readers who don't have children yet....

I do not handle vomit well. You would think after being a mom for 8 1/2 years, and with the sheer volume I have dealt with over the years, I would be somewhat desensitized to it, but I am not. As soon as one of my kids start throwing up, I start to feel queasy myself, nervous that I will get it too. This continues even long after they have thrown up. I spend a lot of the day thinking I may not be feeling well, but when it is time to eat, I am hungry- proving I am fine- only to go back to feeling weird after I eat. I have come to realize my "upset stomach" is not the flu coming on, but real anxiety. I even look at others kids and if they look upset, or don't seem to acting right, I start to worry that they will suddenly throw up. Yes, when our house is in the midst of the stomach flu, I feel like the whole world is slightly off too. I feel silly admitting it. I mean, really, what is the big deal? With each of my kids with this round of the bug, they have each thrown up a few times and then are fine. It moves through quickly and is gone. So, maybe I would be down one day at most if I did get it? Big deal, right? Ya- easier said then done- I still just can't even stand the thought of the miserable stomach flu.

My kids could get bad colds, coughs, bronchitis, strep throat and even "the flu" (true influenza)- all of which take much longer to recover from- and I have no concerns about getting it. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about more serious illnesses either, such as cancer or other things. Sure, I don't want to get sick and would take precautions, but I don't stress over it either like I do with this. Strange, but I can't help it!

So, 3 people down in my house but hopefully NOT three to go. There has been times in the past when my kids have gotten sick and I haven't. We have a fun weekend ahead and I would hate for us to have to miss any of it! Aside from sicknesses, this is "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!!!"

6 comments:

Breezi said...

ugg. I HATE puking kids. I always feel sick after wards too. You are not alone in that.

That bug was going around our nursery two Sunday's ago... By Wednesday night, both girls were puking. WAY fun.

I can't wait for Maggie to be done with nursery at the end of this year! :)

Sara Emily said...

Yes, Amanda - you are a hypochondriac. :) I love you anyway. I think Joey barfed enough his first year, it doesn't phase me now... with my own kids anyway. I don't deal w/ other kids barfing tho... Fun stuff! I'll steer clear of you for a bit. :)

Katie said...

Spencer and I always get the fake upset stomach, too. Only this time, it was real for me. I was the first to get it in my house. I woke up yesterday at 3am throwing up. Followed shortly by Reid. Sent Park off to school and got a phone call at noon that he had thrown up at school. Lovely day.

(And to top it off, the missionaries showed up unexpected at my door with my looking a fright in my most embarrassing PJ's ever.)

I swear Gray is immune. He was in Nursery with all those kids who got it. And was exposed to Abbeys kids quite a bit this week. And now (knock on wood) hasn't caught it from us.

Here's to hoping no one else gets it...at your house or mine (or anyone else's).

Autumn said...

I'm so glad I missed this. I hope it is all gone by tomorrow! Isn't it amazing how just the smell of puke-or the thought of it-can get you going? If I'm not careful I can EASILY puke by smelling it. I try to turn on the high mentality to not puke. eck

trentnjeanmorello said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
trentnjeanmorello said...

I can't stand the smell of vomit. It does seem like the flu is going around in the ward, hopefully by Sunday everyone will feel better. I know Emilee had it the day before we were sealed...Tis the season for the flu bug!

Hope you guys are feeling better!