Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Another First

Yesterday, Ellen and Meghan went to the dentist for their first cleaning now that they are big 3-year-olds!!!

I was really nervous about it- especially whether or not I would be able to handle it on my own. I almost wimped out and asked someone from my family to go with me, but I convinced myself they would be alright. I talked to them about it a lot the day before (I forgot until it was too late that I should have gotten a book or something from the library....) about how fun the dentist was! They would get to sit in the big chair that moves, wear sunglasses (our pediatric dentist gives them for during the cleaning to shield their eyes), get their teeth cleaned with a big noisy,funny toothbrush and more! I think I was especially nervous because Kenny did NOT do well at the dentist when he was little- kicking, screaming, the whole time!

I have to say I am one proud momma! They did so good!

As we pulled in the lot, Ellie started whining that she didn't want to go. So, again, I did my best to talk it up. While we waited, they had a ball playing in the waiting room full of toys.

When we got called back, Ellie was up first. She wasn't too interested in getting in the chair- she stayed plastered to me. So, I carried her to the chair and gently placed her in and told her I would stay right beside her. (If that didn't work I was going to sit in the chair with her in my lap- which I didn't want to do unless I had to since Meghan was there too and could run off anytime....) Luckily, that worked, and though she was nervous, she let the lady do her job. The hygienist was great! She went slow and explained all the tools and let Ellie touch them. After a few minutes, she relaxed and did great!
When it was Meghan's turn, she was so excited and just jumped right up there! Actually, this wasn't Meghan's first trip to the dentist. Her first trip was when she was 7 months old! One of her bottom baby teeth came in bad. As it broke through, her gums were really red, and then as the tooth emerged- it was misshaped, as if it had already been chipped. Then, a few days later, it turned black down in the gum. So, we took her to the dentist who said that, for whatever reason (there could be many she said...) that tooth just formed wrong in the gum, so it rotted quickly as it came out. So, it had to be pulled. It was quite traumatic for her and I! The tooth was really quite stuck and it took lots of screaming (from her.... nearly crying from me) and both dentists to finally be able to get it. I was worried, though of course she wouldn't remember it, that there would be an "unexplained" fear of the dentist. But, no- she was just excited!!! It was the same dentist who pulled her tooth 2 1/2 years ago, so she liked seeing her again.
Both girls were cavity free, so they got to stand on the star and get their picture taken for the cavity free club on the wall!

And, just for fun- here are some pictures of the girls enjoying one of their gifts from Santa!

4 comments:

Breezi said...

Who's their dentist?? I need to find a good dentist around here. Sounds like your dentist is awesome with kiddos.
And holy cow! Scary about Meghan's tooth! I would have been freaking out! Glad you (and her) have recovered from that trauma. :)

Lauri said...

Funny that they don't mind going to the dentist but they hate band=aids.
I can't believe they're THREE. Let the fun begin!

Bobby said...

Both girls are lovely! It's amazing that they behaved while in the dentist's office. I'm having a hard time convincing my son, Diego, about how fun the dentist was. Thankfully, many of the dentists Maryville, T.N. area practitioners are really good in handling kids while performing dental treatments. When it comes to Maryville, T.N. cosmetic dentistry, I'll always trust the best dentist who could provide quality services for my family. Thanks for sharing the incredible post, Amanda! I really enjoyed reading it.

Timothy said...

I am happy that your daughter really made it through going to her dentist and having some dental procedure on her. Not all of the kids actually love going to their dentists. And I salute all the kids out there who's not scared of having some dental procedure because it's really for them to have good oral health. My daughters love going to their dentists (Goose Creek area) too. Every time they would go there, they may get some freebies and they have really friendly staff.