Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Winter Blessings?

I have been dealing with a serious case of the winter blahs. Blah...blah...blah. The gloomy, gray, cold skies have been getting to me pretty big this year. I haven't even blogged in a while because there just haven't been much blog worthy going on and I didn't want to bore anyone with my average daily life of laundry, errands and doctors appointments. However, in an effort to fight away the winter blahs, I thought maybe I should "count my blessings" and list somethings about winter that I do enjoy.

1) Christmas


I LOVE Christmas. I would hate December if it wasn't for Christmas. Christmas is just not the same if it isn't cold. I prefer warm weather, but not at Christmas time. One year, early in our marriage, we went to Florida to visits Aaron's mom for Christmas time. It was a great trip and we had a great visit, but singing Christmas songs around palm trees while wearing shorts just doesn't fit (Sorry, Mom K! :)).

2) Snow Days!!!
It is always nice to wake up and realize schools are closed and you DON'T have to do that daily rush. You can lounge in your heated house and send the kids out to play in the snow!

3) Hot Chocolate.... Oh ya! And, it is even better after a tip from a friend. I buy the Swiss Miss diet (25 calories a pack), and mix in a little fat-free flavored Coffee-Mate...... Oh so good- and even with two packets of hot chocolate, all together it has 100 calories or less!

4) Big oversized comfy sweaters or hoodies.

5) New TV Shows: During the summer, all those good shows are reruns, but in the dead of winter, you can always count on new shows to pass the time when the kids go to bed. CSI, Flash Forward, The Good Wife, and of course..... LOST!!!
We stayed up waaaay too late last night watching the premier of this last season. The show ends this spring so they are telling the final story. It....is....intense. I sat down to watch the extended premier last night with 3 overloaded baskets of laundry to fold while I watched. The show was nearly over before I realized that the totally forgotten piles of laundry had not been touched.

6) Valentine's Day- so fun to make cookies and valentines to pass the time!

7) Special Birthdays-

My mom, my dad and Ellen & Meghan have winter birthdays- makes for lots of celebrating with presents, cake and family!

8- The countdown!!! Each day that passes bring us one day closer to April!

9- Balance- I suppose if it were 70-80 degrees every day, I would begin to take it for granted. There is nothing quite so glorious as putting your face in the sun on that first 60-70 degree day in spring! You can feel your whole spirit start to recharge. It probably wouldn't be the same if you hadn't endured the crappy weather to get there.


So, there you have it- a few reasons that winter is somewhat tolerable. Hopefully these things will help hold me through till April!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Those are great reasons to hold on till April! Thank you, I needed them too!
I dislike winter so much, that during the days when I have time, I search warm places and dream of living there- sigh...

Autumn said...

Way to try to look on the bright side. I know-seriously blahish!! I love your list thought!