Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

He was doomed....

It was simply inevitable. We knew it was. Aaron got his first pair of glasses when he was 13, I got my first pair when I was 9. So, we knew from the get go that, most likely, every one of our children would need glasses at some point. This is a little sooner than expected, but we knew it would happen.

Who am I speaking of? Jacob- my six year old in first grade. A few weeks ago at church, he asked me what hymn was next because he likes to get the next song ready. He has always read the board himself and so I was surprised this time when he said he couldn't read it. I asked if the numbers were blurry, and he said yes. So, I knew it was time.

Off we went last week to the eye doctor. Sure enough, he is near sighted. Not horribly so- his prescription is only 20/60- but enough that they doctor said he should be wearing glasses at least at school. We picked them up yesterday. Doesn't he look handsome? (not the best picture- I accidentally deleted the one with him smiling- I may redo the picture later if time allows- he still looks great though!) I think he looks smart and mature.
Jacob was NOT a happy camper about needing glasses. I think his biggest fear is that the kids at school will laugh at him. We were discussing last night how to handle that situation and I wasn't coming up with anything great to say, but Aaron did. He said if kids make fun of him, just say "SO??" and the kids would eventually get bored and leave him alone (which is true). I am hoping school is going well for him today.

He kept saying that his glasses make everything look "smaller"- I explained that they don't look smaller, just clearer! He also said he hopes he doesn't have to wear them the rest of his life. I hated to break it to him that once you need glasses, your sight usually gets gradually worse for many years.

On a positive note, We received a letter in the mail last week that Jacob was accepted into the gifted and talented program at school next year! We are so excited for him and so proud. He is truly an amazing kid. So, now he has smart brains and a smart new look!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

They look great Amanda. Kustis was worried about it last year too. Jacob will be fine. See everyone soon.

Autumn said...

Gifted and talented-awesome! Kudos to him. I think the glasses really suit him well, and yes, he looks handsome! I like Aaron's response. Very true.

Sara Emily said...

A very handsome guy!!! :) I love the glasses you guys picked out! And he is sooo smart! :) I'm proud of my neeeefew!

Katie said...

I can imagine it's hard to have a kid in glasses...they don't like them and can break or loose them easily, but I LOVE the way kids look in glasses. So that's a plus for sure. And the gifted and talented program? Way to go jacob!

Kelly said...

He looks so cute with them- without them, too, of course! I am happy he is so smart, and gifted! Great kid!

Kristin said...

Congrats! On everything! Our kids have come a long way since we were playing around in joyschool, huh?