Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

On Motherhood

Today, on this special day for all Mothers- those with children and those are like a mother to many, I thought I would share some of my thoughts on motherhood.

I have come to believe that Motherhood is the most important job a woman can have, but yet the most downplayed job by society. Being a mother is one of the hardest, low paying, demanding, and exhausting jobs there is, but by far more rewarding.

I think whether a mother chooses a career or to stay home with her children, it is important to remember her most important job is at home. I am not saying woman shouldn't have a career; I am only saying that it is easy to let the world confuse us as to our most important role. I recently read a book by Jane Clayson Johnson called "I am a mother." I highly recommend this book to anyone needing to feel uplifted in their role as a mother. I literally laughed and cried as I read this book and felt so much more secure as a mother. Jane Clayson Johnson was a journalist with a very promising career. She was on the Morning Show as an anchor. When she found out she was expecting her first child, she walked away from her job to stay home and raise her children. All of her coworkers told her she was crazy to give up her career and that she would never get it back, but she did not let that phase her. She saw the beauty in her work at home.

I, as well, have chosen to stay home. It is hard at times- financially, we must count every penny.
Sometimes, just as Jane Clayson Johnson mentioned in her book, I have found myself feeling down saying I am "just" a mother. But, I know it is so much more than being "just" a mother. It is a role to wear with pride! I AM a mother! I think whether a mother stays at home or not isn't what matters- I know that woman have careers for many different reasons. I just think it is easy to forget in the day-to-day craziness just how important our role as mother is. Elder Neal A. Maxwell (one of the general authorities of my church) said, "when the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peace-making of woman in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congress?" I love this and think it is so true. As mothers, we have so much more influence in the world than we realize! Who do you think raises and teaches all of those amazing leaders? Our influence as mothers dictates what kind of leaders our children will become.

I am sure I will someday have a career as well. There are certainly roads I would like to pursue someday, but this is the job I need to do now. I know that no matter what awards or promotions I receive in the world, it will never compare to the simple worded notes I have received from my children today and many times over the years. For example, my children presented me with these beautiful letters this morning: (spelling is just as it is in the letters- it makes it all the more endearing!)

From Kenny:

Dear Mom, I hope you have a grat day. I am going to make a speshol brekFest For you. When I start makeing it you need to go to your room. I made a nother card. this book mark (pictured above card) is very speshol. Love Kenneth.

From Jacob:
Front of card.

Inside of card
Dear Mom, You are the best person in the whole wide world. This letter is very speshel. I love you mom. Mom here is your card. I am going to make something even speshler then this card. I made alot of purple on it because I know you love purple. Today is your very speshle day mom. Now gwess what the other speshle thing. I know you love me and I love you too. Love, Jacob

And, the story Jacob wrote at school titled "My Mom Knows"

My Mom knows she loves me with all her heart. My mom knows monney does not grow on a tree. My mom knows how to feed me. My mom knows how to take care of me. My mom knows how to take of everyone including me. I love you mom. (in the picture, there is Jacob saying, "Mom what do you know?" and I am saying "I know how to take care of you Jacob."

I feel like the luckiest mom in the world!

Happy Mothers Day to all of the amazing women out there!!!!!!

No comments: