Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

To Plant a Garden- 2nd attempt

Last year, I became inspired to finally plant a garden. I loved the square foot gardening idea- it seemed to simplify it a little, which is what I need for my brown thumb. So, I started with just one 4X4 garden. I quickly learned just how much I had to learn. Last year, this same week, this is how my garden looked:

I didn't realize UNTIL I was planting all of the seeds, that it was really later than it should be for some. I didn't know until then that tomatoes and peppers were supposed to be started inside in early spring and then transplanted; or that lettuce seeds are supposed to planted outside in early spring. But, I started it all from seed then anyway, figuring I would try. Though not perfect, it turned out decent enough for a flawed first attempt. We did get a few tomatoes- though not until September. We never did get any peppers, and only a few green beens (before bugs ate them and I didn't know how to prevent it then). But, we did get several cucumbers, good parsley and a couple heads of lettuce.

So, this year, I took what I learned last year and am trying again with hopes it will be better. I am still sticking with one garden this year, but if it goes well, I will likely add another next year with more veggie variety. Here is my garden as of last night:
If all goes well, in a few months, we will have (from left to right, top to bottom): tomatoes, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, corn, beans, green peppers, green peppers, corn, beans, beans, cucumbers, parsley (grew back from last year!), romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, and cucumbers! Looking a little more promising this year, so I am excited! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Good for you! Good luck too, I'm sure it will be great!

Autumn said...

GO YOU! Don't worry about being late. We were really late with tomatoes last year and we enjoyed them really late too. Looks good!

Meyer Family said...

It's looking good! I miss my garden. I love to garden but I am glad to no longer have to deal with the entire yard! (Our last move we decided that we'd do an apartment till the kids were bigger. Our yard looked awesome till we had kids and I wasn't sure how to safely deal with them in the yard.) Some day we'll have a garden again! Good luck!